"Red Deer - One winter week living in Alberta" Top 5 Page for this destination Red Deer by Bwana_Brown
Red Deer Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 99 photos
In February, 2007, my wife and I had a chance to see what it was like living in Alberta for a short period. My youngest daughter was married in the middle of the month with a very enjoyable ceremony held in the Rocky Mountains (see my 'Canmore' page for the details). While the newlyweds were Honeymooning in Mexico, someone was needed to 'hold the fort' for eight days with their pets and new house in Red Deer!
First settled by Europeans with the establishment of a trading post in 1882 and about halfway along the Calgary-to-Edmonton Trail, where it crossed the Red Deer River, the city of Red Deer has grown to be the third largest in the Province with a population of about 83,000. The surrounding countryside is pleasing to the eye with its gently rolling hills and, on a good day, you just might be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the snow-capped Rockies off to the west. Although the area originally focused on oil, grain, and cattle production, Red Deer now serves as a centre for oil and agriculture distribution as well as petrochemical production in the areas outside the city. Really, there are no amazingly spectacular sights to see as the layout is sort of like a long strip mall of stores and businesses streching along both sides of the highway between Alberta's two largest cities. To avoid this congestion, a bypass has been built around Red Deer if you just want to 'keep on trucking'.
We had a look around the city and its surrounding areas and were able to sample some outdoor winter activities in the pleasant weather, varying between 3 C in the daytime and -23 C overnight.
- Pros:Nice countryside, easy to reach Calgary, Edmonton or the Rockies
- Cons:Mostly one long street lined with businesses and malls
- In a nutshell:A small city serving the needs of this part of Alberta
We are members of a customer-owned Cooperative store at home and we found that the 'save-on-foods' store located very... more travel advice
Since we were going to be in Alberta for three weeks, even a small rental car would have cost us C$900 (US$770), not to... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Red Deer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Red Deer - One winter week living in Alberta"
- "Welcome To Red Deer"
- "Darby2's Red Deer Page"
- "RED DEER"
- "Red Deer....yes it is a place"
- "BANFF, LAKE LOUISE, RED DEER, ROCKY MOUNTAINS, SKI"
- "Red Deer, Alberta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Red Deer
- Hotels in Red Deer
- Transportation in Red Deer
- Nightlife in Red Deer
- Restaurants in Red Deer
- Shopping in Red Deer
- Warnings and Dangers in Red Deer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Red Deer
- 13 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Red Deer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Red Deer
Photos in Red DeerSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos