"New Brunswick's Biggest Port" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint John by Bwana_Brown
Saint John Travel Guide: 126 reviews and 262 photos
Saint John is a city with character - Canada's oldest incorporated city (by Royal charter in 1785) and one that was built on Loyalist traditions by those British subjects fleeing the result of the American Revolution in 1783.
It also has a number of heavy industries ranging from Canada's largest oil refinery, to pulp & paper mills and power plants. Of course, these are located here because of its excellent port facilities. Along with Halifax, Nova Scotia, this city is one of the prime year-round deep water ports along the eastern North American seaboard.
I am often in Saint John for business, not to mention the fact that I was born there! However, on this day we simply made the one hour drive down the Saint John River valley from Fredericton to enjoy an afternoon there.
Here, the 3800-passenger cruise ship 'Voyager of the Seas' is at rest in the harbour. With the recent upsurge in world-wide terrorist activity, the ports along Canada's eastern seaboard have enjoyed increased business as many American-based cruise ships take their passengers to what are considered relatively safe locations!
- Pros:It's a port city with character
- Cons:You cannot avoid noticing the heavy industry
- In a nutshell:I have always found it an interesting city
Saint John has a historical legacy of the late-1700s/early 1800s sitting atop a hill in the west side of the city - a... more travel advice
Although Saint John is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1783), most of the older buildings in the downtown core date... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Saint John Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint John - Born of the American Revolution"
- "The City on the Bay of Fundy"
- "New Brunswick's Biggest Port"
- "Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada"
- "Saint John, New Brunswick"
- "Cabana Boy's Saint John Page"
- "Saint John: The FUN-dy City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint John
- Hotels in Saint John
- Transportation in Saint John
- Nightlife in Saint John
- Restaurants in Saint John
- Shopping in Saint John
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint John
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint John
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Saint John?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint John
Photos in Saint JohnSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos