"Sussex - nestled in the valley" Sussex by Bwana_Brown

Sussex Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 48 photos

Sussex is the place where I spent most of my early childhood years, went through school from Grades 1-12 and then spent another three summers there, until the age of 20, as I worked to pay my way through university. I still return regularly to visit my mother and a younger brother who never caught the wanderlust like I did!

The town has one of the most beautiful settings in New Brunswick due to its location in a wide valley formed by the meandering Kennebecasis River, which flows westward as a tributary to the mighty Saint John River. The location of the town here was a bit of an accident when, in 1857, the original settlement of Sussex Corner refused the offer of having a railway station built in their community as the new European and North American Railway was building a line between Moncton and Saint John - feeling these infernal machines would be far too disruptive to their quiet and peaceful way of life. As a result, the railway station was located a few miles to the west in what was then regarded as 'swamp ground', a location that soon grew into the town of Sussex as business establishments began to sprout beside this new and efficient means of transportation.

Sussex eventually came to be the hub of major highways connecting Fredericton, Saint John and Moncton and is a prime tourist area with many nearby attractions. This photo shows the route of the original Trans-Canada Highway as it descends Prescott Hill from Fredericton, with the road swinging left to Moncton and right to Saint John. It was from the bottom of this hill in early-May, 1970 that I set out hitch-hiking to western Canada just to break the constant monotony of university for 7 months and then summer work for 5 months! I made it to Quebec City the first night, Chalk River north of Ottawa the 2nd, Sault-ste-Marie the 3rd, Thunder Bay (at the western end of the Great Lakes) the 4th and half-way across the country in Winnipeg, Manitoba after 2100-miles and four and a half days since setting out. By then, my little adventure had cured me so, two days later, I hopped on a $26 non-stop train ride and soon arrived back in Sussex to begin another round of work!

Same view in December instead of October!

• Pros:A quiet little town situated in a beautiful location
  • Cons:Maybe too quiet at times!
  • In a nutshell:A friendly and laid-back place
  • Last visit to Sussex: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Dec 5, 2006

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM

We take for granted how "international" foods were not always so available outside of big cities but your tip hit it spot on. Love the pastoral settings and the dairy products alone are enough to get me heading back to NB. Great mix of old and new, Glenn.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2008 at 5:15 PM

what a wonderfully interesting page - loved the pic of the cows, and the barns - well the whole page was just great

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 2:43 PM

Lovely train station Who knows, may be that train will some day take over air travel! Sussex looks a very pleasant little place! Dutch elm disease spreading is one example of the ill effect of travels on local ecosystems !

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Great updates again, Glenn !!These Victorian mansions look great and it is always nice to see these covered bridges, clever idea and nice to look at !

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2007 at 4:46 AM

Travelling abroad sure sharpens our eyes for the nice things from where you live. Very interesting writing here! Loved to read through your childhood stories :-) Corinne

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Wonderful stories from your childhood, I sometimes wonder how any of us make it to adulthood! I'd be eating at that pizza place if I came to visit, no such thing as too much pizza!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 6:34 AM

What a great place to grow up, Glenn. Strange, isn't it, it's only when we return that we realise how fortunate we've been! I'm fascinated by those covered bridges.

• Feb 2, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Ohh You have a Sussex too Glenn? Lovely page - nothing like Sussex in the UK though :) Great childhood stories here!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 10:41 AM

The Kennebecasis River looks very picturesque. I like also pictures of historical buildings incl. Victorian ones. I like also very picturesque covered bridges - I don't have them at home :-) Great project with those murals!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 9:44 AM

Nice to see the place of your childhood & a nice personal touch with the inclusion of the family picture - enjoyed the tour thanks!

Bwana_Brown Visits Here Frequently!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Sussex