"Markerville - Interesting area near Sylvan Lake" Sylvan Lake by Bwana_Brown
Sylvan Lake Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 37 photos
The decision by my youngest daughter and her husband to sell their house in Red Deer, Alberta in order to move to the countryside and build a new house near the tiny hamlet of Markerville brought me to the Sylvan Lake area to give them a hand in both November and December, 2007.
Markerville itself is a tiny but picturesque hamlet situated on the small Medicine River. This 15-ft (4.6-m) tall monument in the centre of the cluster of buildings caught my attention as I slowly drove through one day. The steel Cream Can/Wheat Sheaf memorial was designed and made by a local firm (Freedom Fabricating) in 1988 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the arrival of Icelandic settlers here. It acknowledges the very important creamery they established along with the significance of the local grain harvests that also followed their arrival.
This page gives my impressions of this picturesque area with brief descriptions of some of its attractions. However, since my main chores involved building a house, I did not have a lot of extra time for extensive sightseeing!
- Pros:Enjoyable countryside, still lots of wild animals around
- Cons:Everywhere in Alberta is expensive to live in due to the booming economy
- In a nutshell:There is a lot to be seen along the back roads if you take your time!
We did make a few trips into Sylvan Lake to pick up supplies from their supermarket, hardware stores, liquor store,... more travel advice
On the short drive from Chantel's cottage (Accoms tips) to the new house I saw an Alberta tourism sign pointing down a... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Sylvan Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Markerville - Interesting area near Sylvan Lake"
- "Alberta's Tropical Paradise"
- "Beach resort of Alberta"
- "Sylvan Lake"
- "SYLVAN LAKE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sylvan Lake
- Hotels in Sylvan Lake
- Restaurants in Sylvan Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Sylvan Lake
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Sylvan Lake
- 12 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Sylvan Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sylvan Lake
- updated a Sylvan Lake Travel Page "Markerville - Interesting area near Sylvan Lake"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Historic homestead"
- Commented on one of cybercutie's Sylvan Lake travel pages
- Wrote a Review Frozen lakes come in handy! in Sylvan Lake Things to Do
Photos in Sylvan LakeSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos