"In the Wilds of Terrace, BC" Terrace by Bwana_Brown

Terrace Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 63 photos

British Columbia, Canada’s western-most province, is a huge area covering about 945,000 square kilometers of territory, even if it is only the 5th largest of Canada’s thirteen provinces and territories. If BC was a country, it would be the 32nd largest in the world, ranking behind Tanzania and ahead of Nigeria. Due to its geography, the vast majority of its population lives in the southern part of the province, relatively close the USA border – resulting in the fact that if one travels even only halfway up the province you will be nearing the end of any large settlements. Left facing you will be majestic forests, mountains, bodies of water and coastal inlets that go on forever - with only two main highways continuing to its northern boundaries with the Yukon and Northwest Territories parts of Canada!

My brother had been working and living at Terrace, in that mid-province part of BC for the past several years, so Sue and I decided it was high time we paid them a little visit. We last drove in mainland BC in 1982 on our return home from Papua New Guinea, so we were looking forward to another chance to explore this beautiful province, even if for only a few days. It turned out that we were really lucky with the weather in early September, with mostly sunny skies and pleasant temperatures and just a few clouds highlighting the numerous mountain peaks. We had a fantastic time hiking, canoeing and just touring the area with my brother and his wife – with accommodations in their lovely lakeside cottage. These tips detail the three days we spent with them before we packed our bags and made the long drive back to Regina, Saskatchewan as work called once again. The map in my ‘General’ tip gives a high level view of our overall drive.

• Pros:A beautiful place to live and enjoy nature
  • Cons:Well off the beaten track - a long drive to or from anywhere
  • In a nutshell:A great place to explore when the weather cooperates!
  • Last visit to Terrace: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 29, 2010

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Glenn, fabulous page about this gem in British Columbia, which is still on my must visit list, as I only made it to the East of Canada.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2010 at 2:17 AM

Meant to explore Grand Teton but got distracted by the beauties of BC! Stunning scenery, great photos and interesting write-ups of your explorations combine to make this a fantastic VT page - loved it all! And I envy you that road trip ;-)

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Here I am back again! A great page, great photos. Hard to pick favorites but bonfire on the lake, blue jay and you and Sue paddling a canoe together are strong contenders.! Good restaurant tips, and loved the house on the lake.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM

an excellent page with wonderful pictures of a perfect natural surrounding, thanks for sharing, Glenn !

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2010 at 10:23 PM

I knew BC was big but not so much so. Great account of an area I only passed through. I'll blame you when I try and tell D we need four months to see it all one summer! Love the reflection canoe shot. This makes me miss CA!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2010 at 10:40 AM

Wow, what a beautiful place your brother and his wife lives in! Sounds like you had a wonderful time togheter and I'm glad you shared your trip to Terrace with us.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM

Another excellent page! Great descriptions of your trip, visiting family and gorgeous scenery. If at all possible, we never drive at night---if we do, I am in constant fear of killing an animal---it would be a nightmare for me!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2010 at 4:49 AM

What a lovely area to visit and seeing family is usually a plus. The waters look almost like glass and how lucky to see a bear so closely. A very interesting and well written page. Beautiful photos.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2010 at 8:27 PM

What a delight, Glenn. What a beautiful cottage your brother and sister-in-law rent. The photos and narratives are dynamic. Fish, birds, bear, lava flows, kayaking, canoes, wonderful places to eat...what a lovely vacation.

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM

What a fascinating page! I really enjoyed reading about your trip to Terrace, the landscapes are beautiful and I enjoyed the stories about the Nisga's people. The lava fields are quite stunning!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Terrace

Have you been to Terrace?

Latest Activity in Terrace