"Into northern Saskatchewan by floatplane" Upper Foster Lake by Bwana_Brown

Upper Foster Lake Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 83 photos

During the first week of June 2008, I was lucky enough to be invited to take part in an annual fishing trip to northern Saskatchewan - a trip that the company I work for has sponsored for the past few years. As it turned out, 12 of us from the Regina office (where I work) were joined by one other from our Winnipeg, Manitoba office for six wonderful days exploring and fishing in the wilds of Canada.

Although we headed almost 900-km straight north, we didn't really suffer too much, because our accommodations at Grey Owl Camp on the privately-owned Oneman Lake were very enjoyable. To top it off, we also were able to enjoy the quintessential Canadian experience of flying in on floatplanes! The fishing was fun and the weather was great - I just enjoyed being 'out there' in the northern wilds with a fun bunch of guys to experience it for myself. My first 'General' tip includes a map showing where we went and how we got there. I placed this Page under 'Upper Foster Lake' in the VT database because it is the closest available location to Oneman Lake - and is only slightly northwest of the actual fishing location.

• Pros:A pristine wilderness spot in northern Canada
  • Cons:I didn't notice any
  • In a nutshell:The trip of a lifetime if you ever get a chance!
  • Last visit to Upper Foster Lake: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jun 17, 2009

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Glenn, gorgeous page about a fascinating area. I especially like the photos of the Turbo Otters. It must be quite exciting to fly with them.

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM

I'm looking for my fishing lines even as I write this.

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 12:44 PM

I just love remote northern lakes although I haven't experienced many of them. I remember my days in Inuvik and riding in a helicopter to a remote weather station and watching the terrain below. It was amazing with all the herds of various animals.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 11:41 PM

What a fantastic trip this was, Glenn :-)) It reminds me a bit of my actual travel plans for Sweden :-) Pristine wilderness and abundant fish. Wow, the ones you all caught are huge! Beer-darts... funny game!! Morning smiles from here :-)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 4:55 AM

I loved reading this page. You know so well how to capture these remote places in both words and images Glenn. I'm not really into fishing but would have loved the scenery and float-plane flights :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Am I glad I returned to these nature-filled pages. My husband does fly fishing twice a year with his buddies, and your experiences are fascinating and look like so much fun. Personable, educational, interesting, and, best of all, fun to read.

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2008 at 1:32 PM

Hi Glenn! Thanks for the great and detailed Saskatchewan overview/travelouges and also for the congratulations for the Hometown heroes contest! István

• Jul 3, 2008 at 5:37 AM

For so many years I lived less than 3 hours away from the Canadian border, limiting my excursions into the country to the lovely cities of Montreal & Halifax. I wish I would have ventured off into the vast Canadian wilderness.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 2:04 PM

Wow, you got really large fishes! They are impressive! Staying in this kind of wilderness must be a very special experience! When I was a kid one of my favorites books was “Sajo and her beavers” by Grey Owl. Was the camp named after him?

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 11:53 AM

Great trip in the North, Glenn ; I enjoyed your photos and comments; That is a sort of place where I would like to spend some days. . . weeks. . . months. . .! Thanks for sharing this fishing trip, and I had wheeled only Twin Otters in Africa!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Upper Foster Lake

Have you been to Upper Foster Lake?