"A Trip to Labrador & Northern Quebec" Wabush by Bwana_Brown
Wabush Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 81 photos
In September, 1971 I had returned to the University of New Brunswick, in Fredericton, NB, Canada to complete the final year of my 5-year Electrical Engineering degree. By chance, the Iron Ore Company of Canada (IOC), with huge open pit mines in both the Labrador territory of the Province of Newfoundland and adjoining parts of northern Quebec, were on a recruiting drive. The deal was that each of the different Engineering classes would put their names into a hat and one name would be drawn for each class to see who would be heading north (not to Alaska!). Of the 50 of us in 5th year Electrical, I drew the lucky straw! It was not long before a bunch of us were on our way, flying from New Brunswick north across the St. Lawrence River to the Quebec port city of Sept-Isles. It was here that IOC had their bulk storage and shipping facilities, where the raw iron ore would head out for destinations all over the world. They put on a great show for us there, free drinks and snacks - man we had really arrived! The next day was spent touring their mining and shipping facilities there along the north shore of the St. Lawrence. The following day, we were taken out to the airport where we found this old company-owned Douglas DC-3 waiting for us! It had a top speed of 160 mph and had been built in 1939 (hey, in 1971 that did not seem that long ago!). Luckily, I knew that this was one of the most durable aircraft of all time, and in fact, it has been voted as one of the outstanding aircraft ever built! That was good, because we were headed 320 miles due north to the mining town of Scheffarville, Quebec, after flying over that part of Labrador that juts out into Quebec!
- Pros:It's Different
- Cons:It's Bleak
- In a nutshell:The Money Had Better be Good!
At the end of our 4-day long-weekend excursion to the north, it was back to the airport at Wabush to catch a little more... more travel advice
After we had flown south again, but only half-way, to the Wabush/Labrador City area, we toured another of the IOC... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Wabush Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wabush - Labrador City - Churchill Falls"
- "A Trip to Labrador & Northern Quebec"
- "TOWN OF WABUSH"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wabush
- Hotels in Wabush
- Transportation in Wabush
- Nightlife in Wabush
- Restaurants in Wabush
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wabush
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Wabush?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wabush
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Commented on one of tkslma's Wabush travel pages
- updated a Wabush Travel Page "A Trip to Labrador & Northern Quebec"
- Uploaded a Photo to "A Trip to Labrador & Northern Quebec"
- Wrote a Review We Are Out of Here in Wabush Transportation
Photos in WabushSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos