"Amazingly Rugged Cliffs!" Welsford by Bwana_Brown

Welsford Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 24 photos

Thanks to a request for help from my biking buddy Russell, I found out that there is a fantastic forested hiking area with totally rugged cliffs less than a one hour drive from my home in Fredericton! Russ works as a Case Manager with a city organization, Youth Choices, that provides stimulus and recreational needs for teenage youths from families that are a bit short on finances. Thanks to the efforts of the Provincial government, support is available to organizations like this which provide resources for educational problems and career counselling. In addition, the staff members also provide skilled supervision for the youths on various extracurricular activities, which they may not otherwise receive.

On this occasion, a hiking trip was planned for a rugged area of New Brunswick south of Fredericton, near the tiny community of Welsford and not far from the major port of Saint John on the Bay of Fundy. Even though I have a New Brunswick Hiking book, I had never heard of this particular spot before, apparently because it is located just within the boundaries of the huge Canadian Military training area of Base Gagetown.

• In a nutshell:I am going back again for a closer look!
  • Last visit to Welsford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 27, 2006

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM

Seems like my kind of place = I do love when plants grow on solid rock

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2008 at 4:47 AM

This looks a really enjoyable days' outing. Interesting that peanut butter sandwiches were on the menu - over here they're now almost taboo because of allergy concerns!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 9:20 AM

This fantastic forested hiking area and your pictures remind me my hiking trips with my parents (Beskidy and Tatra Mountains) in 1970' and 1980'.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2006 at 3:37 AM

It's funny how food you've "worked" for always tastes the best. Good to see you're out exploring your local treasures.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2006 at 4:04 AM

Great for the kids to get a day out enjoying nature. Just shows that there are lovely things to see nearby if we take the time to look.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2006 at 5:52 AM

great adventures are sometimes just around the corner ! funny to see this "pick-nick with a view" it reminds me of the many excursions I made with my parents and siblings a long time ago...

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2006 at 7:59 AM

Glenn, this page shows that places close to your house can be as beautiful as far away places. Both have their own charm.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 5:08 AM

Beautiful views in your opening photo Glenn - and only an hour from home! ; )

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Welsford

Have you been to Welsford?

Latest Activity in Welsford