"Saskatchewan's Big Muddy Badlands" Willow Bunch by Bwana_Brown

Willow Bunch Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 51 photos

On a sunny Saturday in late-June I had some paperwork to clear up at a US Border Customs post located due south of Regina, so I decided to make a day-trip out of it and explore some remote and rugged landscape in Saskatchewan while I was in the area.

It turned out to take longer than I had expected but there were many interesting things to see during the course of my looping drive. The landscape of the 'Badlands' and finding an 8-foot 3-inch local giant were my two favourites but I was also able to stop whenever I felt like it to observe the many types of birds, deer, pronghorn antelope and coyotes I spotted along the way. As the temperature reached 31 C by early afternoon, I left two of the area's main attractions for another visit when Sue could be with me - the lookout from Castle Butte and ancient rock carvings in St. Victor's Petroglyphs Provincial Historic Park.

• Pros:You don't have to worry about traffic
  • Cons:Lots of driving, amenities scarce
  • In a nutshell:I love exploring off-the-beaten-path places like this!
  • Last visit to Willow Bunch: Jun 2009
  • Intro Updated Jun 26, 2009

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I love your opening photo - real "Big Sky Country"! And this is another great example of your excellent "middle of nowhere" pages. I especially enjoyed reading about the link to Butch Cassidy, having been on his patch in Wyoming a few years ago

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2009 at 4:17 PM

I really enjoyed joining you for your excursion around the Canadian badlands Glenn. So many interesting snippets of life and the country out there and the photos really convey the picture. Top stuff.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Excellent page with plenty of interesting and detailed tips. It's a pity Edouard Beaupré couldn't play basketball in his time otherwise we knew him as a famous player nowadays. Thanks Glenn for sharing!

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Edouard Beaupré had the right size for a press-photographer, but he obviously lived too early for that.Nice to see such old cars there like the al-capone-type !

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 5:18 PM

looks like a real nice off the beaten path place.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Last time I stopped by here all I found was a BLT. Now, there's big sky and amazing open road photos, wild west towns with 8 foot giants (should have tried the Canadian game of basketball, eh?), and great ranch B&B. Great road trip for a bad car, Glenn

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Great page Glenn! What a gem! Old historical markers are wonderful. My hubby tries to distract me when he spots one so we don't stop, its gotten to be a game now...lol! Thanks for your lovely tour of Willow Bunch!

• Jun 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Glenn, I don’t know how you do it: you always seem to embark on your road trips on the clearest of days. I bet it’s a combination of luck and proper planning; either way, your pictures are always colorful as well as detailed.

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Another interesting page Glenn. Over 8 foot tall, reminds me of visiting the Guiness Book Of Recors Museum in London with my son in 1993. The tallest man, from memory, was nowhere near the height of the Willow Bunch man.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Oh my, these rolling landscapes look fantastic! So it was somehow a trip down the memory lane for you. Interesting industrial and historical background! And the story of this poor Guy Edouard and his remains is really sad! Good that he rests in peace now.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Willow Bunch

Have you been to Willow Bunch?