"These Mountains cannot be ignored!" Top 5 Page for this destination Grand Teton National Park by Bwana_Brown

Grand Teton National Park Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 932 photos

Over the years from reading one article or another, I had always been impressed by the rugged mountain peaks in this famous American National Park, so my wife and I decided that we really should make some sort of attempt to visit it while we were relatively so close – only about 1200 km (750 miles) to Grand Teton NP by road from our home in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. Because I am still working and don’t have a lot of vacation time to play with, we decided we would just have to make do with a six and a half day road trip.

The first two days were spent reaching Grand Teton NP’s next door neighbor (Yellowstone NP) and included a stop at the Little Bighorn National Memorial Monument east of Billings, Montana - where Custer and his US Cavalry troops met an untimely end in their battle with the local American Indian tribes. Because of the location of Grand Teton NP, and with us spending about two and a half days in the much larger Yellowstone NP, we ended up with only just over a day to see what Grand Teton had to offer before we had to make one long 12-hour day of driving to return home again.

It was a short visit, but this National Park more than met our expectations! We found Grand Teton NP to be not as busy as the more famous Yellowstone and it also has more spectacular views. However, for the pure variety of amazing and unique geological wonders scattered all over the place, I would have to say that Yellowstone NP comes out on top. It did not matter one way or the other to us, we had sunshine the whole time and when all things are taken into consideration, we really enjoyed every experience of this road trip!

• Pros:Stunning scenery no matter where you look
  • Cons:It's small size and proximity to Jackson can lead to overcrowding at many locations
  • In a nutshell:This is one amazing National Park that you should not miss!
  • Last visit to Grand Teton National Park: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2010

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2011 at 11:18 AM

We loved Grand Teton and spent our Silver Wedding anniversary in that same lodge. Love that shot of the dark clouds over the Teton range! We enjoyed the Bighorns too - great part of the country :-) Thanks for the memories!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2011 at 3:40 AM

The scenery is really stunning! And your tips, as usual, very comprehensive. If ever I go to Grand Teton for sure I'll bring the bear spray.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2010 at 3:20 PM

Hi Glenn, here's wishing you a great holiday season! The Grand Tetons certainly are stunning, and I enjoyed reading your explanations of how they got that way.

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM

There is geology “behind” the landscapes and I say: “congratulations” Glenn! Good explanations. The Tetons are really beautiful and I unfortunately only passed by on my way to Yellowstone. Beautiful page.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Photos are great, I'll be back for more ;-).... I promised to be back and here I am :) What a fantastic place for local holiday, funny, I just had Bison Steak this week :)))

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2010 at 10:13 AM

What a wonderful mountain-scenery, Glenn ! I am really glad to hear that you did not wake up that carriage-driver ! ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2010 at 11:04 AM

Wow, what a fantastic landscape! And interesting to read after having read Richie & D's hiking in the Tetons. Thanks for the geological explanations, very interesting, especially the black dike. Oh and the moose butter is so cute!!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip! The mountain views are amazing and great that you saw the bison herd!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Hi Glenn! What a stunning scenery and spectacular views of the mountain peaks! You took some great shots! A hike by the Jenny Lake on such a beautiful sunny date should certainly not be missed. I would enjoy this tranquil little National Park too :)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Peaks that do seem to rise from nowhere. Great you made a short but sweet stop (& dip!) in perhaps my fave park. Next time forget the spray & make noise while hiking, still the best protection from bear attacks there is. Nice weather, eh!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Grand Teton National Park

Have you been to Grand Teton National Park?