"Truly a spectacular Memorial" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Rushmore National Memorial by Bwana_Brown

When I first moved out to Saskatchewan, Canada about a year ago, I was looking at a map of western North America one day when I spotted the Mount Rushmore National Memorial - located in South Dakota almost directly south. I made a mental note to be sure to visit this world-famous Memorial at the first excuse to do so. It took the passing of both winter and some work commitments but finally, the long Labour Day weekend near the end of Summer finally presented a chance for my wife and I to take one of our long-distance driving trips!

It was a great decision - the weather was sunny the entire time we were in South Dakota and Mount Rushmore more than met our expectations. This is a great National Memorial - one that Americans should be justifiably proud of. As an added bonus, the rugged and beautiful landscape of Badlands National Park is only a 2-hour drive away. A third great find was the massively huge Crazy Horse Memorial (my Off The Beaten Path tips), dedicated to a famous Sioux Chief and located only a few miles away from Rushmore! Try to take in all three of these attractions if you ever get the chance.

• Pros:An extremely impressive piece of work in a beautiful environment
  • Cons:A bit of a trip to get there, but nothing really difficult
  • In a nutshell:A fantastic idea, well executed - very enjoyable, especially when the sun is shining!
  • Last visit to Mount Rushmore National Memorial: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Sep 29, 2008

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2010 at 8:02 AM

It has been years since I have visited Mt. Rushmore, & I was amazed at how it has changed. The additions look like a possitive development. I always enjoy the details you give your tips. Thanks!

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Another helpful and interesting page. Thanks.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2008 at 5:32 AM

what a wow alright! my want is also to get to the Crazy horse memorial i read about a nbr of yrs ago-esp when I was mad about the Young Riders TV series! Thanks for yr efforts to show us here on VT&well worthy the straight to Top5!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM

Impressive monuments! And very well written tips as usual Glenn!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM

Things have really changed since my husband & I visited in the early 1980's! Mt. Rushmore's reception building was exactly as it was in the movie "North by Northwest" & my how the Crazy Horse Memorial has moved along! Fantastic page, Glenn!

• Jefie's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2008 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for stopping by my Santiago page - I see you've been keeping busy too! Great tips on Mt. Rushmore & beautiful pics, it's definitely a site I'd like to visit at some point!

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Oct 8, 2008 at 6:42 PM

Great historical notes and good to see that you turned your mental note on the map into a memorable trip!

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 10:04 AM

Crazy Horse! I hope I will be staying one day in front of his monument, Glenn. I “discovered” Mt Rushmore in Hitchcok’s thriller “La mort aux trousses” (North by Northwest), long time ago. This new excellent pages makes me want to move right now!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2008 at 1:36 AM

Fantastic read, Glenn! I am fascinated by Mt.Rushmore ever since I saw North by Northwest :-) And I am most fascinated now to read about the ongoing work on Crazy Horse. Thanks and also to the organisation for the draw, it makes it easier to understand.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2008 at 3:28 PM

thats an interesting page about a place I have seen that monument of the 4 presidents so very often without knowing a lot of the background infos. Great to see also this old steamtrain !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Mount Rushmore National Memorial

Have you been to Mount Rushmore National Memorial?