"Awesome Badlands National Park!" Top 5 Page for this destination Badlands National Park by Bwana_Brown
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 146 reviews and 401 photos
On the long Labour Day weekend of 2008, my wife and I decided to add my Friday birthday to it, giving us a four-day extravaganza that would enable us to make the long drive from Saskatchewan, Canada to South Dakota. One of our main reasons for making the trip was to see Badlands National Park, reported to be one of the most scenic of the parks and yet hardly ever heard of.
It took us a day to drive the 930-km required to reach the area, another day to explore Mt. Rushmore National Memorial, take an 1880's era train ride and then explore the Crazy Horse Memorial. That just left us one day to check out what Badlands National Park had to offer before returning home the next day. It may have been a short visit, but it certainly was enjoyable as we were fortunate to have beautiful sunny weather for our cruise through its 'North Unit'. Why not come along on our drive as I take you through it step by step?
This Google map gives an overview of Badlands National Park at bottom-right, along with the 'pink' driving route from our accommodations located at Hill City in the Black Hills. What is now the 'North Unit' of the park (the large area toward the east) started out as the Badlands National Monument in 1939. In 1976, an agreement was made with the local Sioux Nation to include their lands as well (the attached green area at the bottom of the map) as the 'South Unit'. This expansion led to Badlands finally being designated as a National Park in 1978, with the Sioux still administering their portion of the Park. Today, the South Unit continues to be somewhat underdeveloped with limited access via unpaved roads, leaving the North Unit as the major tourist draw. Since our time was short, we kept our visit down to just the North Unit.
- Pros:Totally amazing scenery, and lots of it!
- Cons:Sort of in the middle of nowhere - but that can be good too
- In a nutshell:A great National Park, much better than I expected
The park had one final surprise in store for us as we approached Big Badlands Overlook and the Northeast Entrance (or... more travel advice
Our visit to Badlands National Park was more of a 'flying visit' than anything, but we hoped to be able to at least... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "Harsh Beauty"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 20 Reviews
- 56 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
- Commented on one of zrim's Badlands National Park travel pages
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Uploaded a Photo to "Panorama Point"
- updated a Badlands National Park Travel Page "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- Wrote a Review 'Waves' on the approach to Big Badlands Overlook in Badlands National Park Things to Do
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (56)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos