"Serra de Sintra Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Distrito de Lisboa by Bwana_Brown

Distrito de Lisboa Travel Guide: 6,857 reviews and 20,024 photos

Our Last Hurrah !

On the Wednesday morning of the last day of our road trip around Portugal, we were in Peniche, only 80 km from Lisbon. We had urgent business that had to be seen to in downtown Lisbon before we left the country the next morning for Canada. As soon as we had finished breakfast we hit the A8 divided 4-lane superhighway to the south at 8:45 AM. By the time we had fought our way through the slow-moving traffic making its way into the heart of Lisbon and then finished up our business in quick-order, it was already 11 AM.

Our rental car was due back at the Airport later that day, so we said let's head for Sintra again because we enjoyed it so much on our first full day in Portugal. However, since we now had wheels, we decided to branch out a bit and take the scenic drive in the surrounding mountains - known as the Serra de Sintra Tour (please see my General tip for a map showing its location)!

It was a fun way to put in a sunny 22 C afternoon!

• Pros:Great Landscapes and Plenty of Attractions
  • Cons:Very Busy during Peak Seasons
  • In a nutshell:Don't Miss It While in the Lisbon Area!
  • Last visit to Distrito de Lisboa: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 29, 2004

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM

Glenn, fabulous little page about the region around Lisbon, which seems to be quite diverse.

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 9:28 PM

I suspect this would be a lovely place to visit in the summer with those great looking beaches

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2005 at 2:59 PM

Very good job! Thanks a lot for refreshing my great memories. I liked Cabo da Roca a lot.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 4:06 AM

Sometimes, you just have to foot it to avoid the crowds. Sounds like great time management to me and love banyan trees and lighthouses myself.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 8:46 PM

The view from Cabo da Roca seems to be breathtaking. The whole trip around the Serra de Sintra, so close to Liboa, makes a real change of scenery !

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 7:10 AM

This would be my kind of daytrip, botanical gardens, picnics, coastal views and lighthouses! Thanks for the "virtual tour".

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 1:43 PM

I see you've updated since my last visit!! I still love those trees!!

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 2:32 PM

I do love lighthouses, and that one looks just amazing!!! Great page (again!!!! ;-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 6:44 PM

Estate of Monserrate looks really interesting ! ...I agree about your favorite guide-books -they are my favorites as well !

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 12:59 PM

You discovered so many lovely places in Portugal. We also visited this part of Portugal and stayed a few days on a campsite.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Distrito de Lisboa

Have you been to Distrito de Lisboa?

Latest Activity in Distrito de Lisboa