"Glamorgan Castle is the star of Alliance" Alliance by Bwana_Brown

Alliance Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 28 photos

In late June, 2008 I had a short 3-day business trip to northeastern Ohio so made the most of it by keeping my eyes open to take in the countryside as I drove along. However, the real star of the Alliance area is amazing Glamorgan Castle - built to serve as a home for a rich industrialist for twenty-three years between 1905-1928.

In addition to taking some time to explore the grounds of the estate, I also travelled to the nearby city of Louisville to take care of business and see what the area surrounding Alliance looked like. Some great meals and a wild lightning storm helped round out my experiences in this part of Ohio - quite a pleasant little trip when all was said and done!

• Pros:Glamorgan Castle and good food
  • Cons:A bit built up and prone to severe weather
  • In a nutshell:It was nice to sample a bit of America's heartland
  • Last visit to Alliance: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2008

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Interesting page about your adventurous business trip to this region. Your hotel with the indoor pool just next to the receiption looks indeed like a great find.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 6:26 AM

Thanks for your comments on my Alliance page! Even though it was a business trip in an off-the-beaten-path area I really enjoyed the whole experience. Glenn

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I remember reading news reports about that great blackout in August 2003, so I was interested in your tips about how it happened. Great that you wrote parts of the final Task Force report about it.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Amazing castle indeed! Both the name and the look would easily place it in UK! Your storm looks terrific! A fascinating page! BTW, why this name, Alliance?

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM

A Castle in Ohio, I would never have thought possible..lol! It looks amazing, that was a wonderful treasure you found. The restaurants looks pretty good. I will have to tell my hubby about the Castle in Ohio, he is from Norwalk. Have a lovely day!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2008 at 3:12 PM

What an interesting group of tips, Glenn. I especially found your general tip fascinating. The storm, too, was really something. Hotel sounds & looks just great. Restaurant tips outstanding. Of course, Glamorgan Castle was terrific. Another topnotch page.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2008 at 5:12 AM

The castle looks amazing - hard to imagine from your photos that it isn't much older! And that was quite a storm too - similar to the one we had in Karlsruhe I reckon. I remember news coverage of the 2003 blackout too!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 8:36 AM

A very impressive page and castle. You always find the neatest things to tell us about.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 12:44 AM

I kind of guessed your castle would have Welsh roots = this and the estate looks lovely

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2008 at 11:45 AM

Glamorgan Castle looks really impressive! What a pity that you could not explore also the inside! That fierce rain and wind storm with the lighting reminded me very much of several ones that we lately had. To tell the truth, I did not enjoy them at all ;)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM

Very nice page, Glenn. Had not previously heard of Glamorgan Castle. Found your knowledge of the great blackout of '03 very fascinating!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Alliance

Have you been to Alliance?