"Bustling Manhatten" New York City by Bwana_Brown

New York City Travel Guide: 15,726 reviews and 31,518 photos

A Visit to Times Square

I had a quick one-night business trip to Manhatten in late-September, so I thought that it would be a good chance to try out my first digital camera. Unfortunately, I did not get the picture size set right, so all my vertical pictures of the Empire State and the Chrysler buildings are too big for the VT site! Humm, maybe I should read that instruction book after all. Anyway, here are a few of the horizontal shots! Both the meeting site and my hotel were within a half-block of Times Square, so that is where I spent my time! This is a late afternoon shot of some of the activity in that area of the city.

The Naked Cowboy Entertains

For the last 3-years, the Naked Cowboy has been a fixture in Times Square, rain or shine. I remember seeing him about a year ago, dressed exactly the same way, and this was when the weather was cold! It turns out that a 32-year old Ohio native, Mr. Robert Burck, has always wanted to make the big time - and he has just succeeded! After failed attempts at country and western singing in Nashville followed by street performances in California, he hit it big when he stripped down! Now he is reported to pull in US$700-1000 per day in tips stuffed down his boots (no room in the briefs he says!). While I was there he was being interviewed by a camera crew.

From the 43rd Floor

The building that I have my meetings in is located right on Times Square with their offices located 43 stories up. In this shot, I used a 10x zoom to catch these cruise ships at anchor in the Hudson River, with Newark, New Jersey in the background. Next time that I go, I will get the camera setting right and do up some proper shots!

• Pros:No Place Else Like It
  • Cons:Hey, It's New York - Get Used to It !
  • In a nutshell:One of Life's Experiences
  • Last visit to New York City: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 26, 2003

• mindcrime's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2008 at 2:15 AM

Oh man! I'll visit NY this july, all those skyscrapers look so different than Puerto Iguazu! :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for helping whet my appetite for a return visit here in Sept. I love the shot from the plane, and completely agree about the Chrysler Building - my favourite too :)

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2008 at 5:33 AM

Now I wonder if I'll get to see the naked cowboy when I visit in summer, I suppose diners in NYC must be something like here today gone tomorrow - thanks for sharing

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2008 at 3:56 PM

The naked Cowboy meets the QE II in your introduction - what a combination ,~)

• cjg1's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2008 at 12:29 PM

Last time I was by here Nicks I believe was gone. Many a memories of ordering beers upstairs from Nicks at 2am because it was cheaper than going into the pubs.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Glad to see New York is still bustling. I had a great four years there when I was in college and have been back a few times since then, but not often enough.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2007 at 8:36 AM

Great view from above! I haven't been in NY for 17 years, it is really time to go back!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 7:07 AM

How did I miss this page? I must agree that the Chrysler Building is the most stunning. Nick's sounds great too.

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2006 at 6:25 PM

Great tips!!! The pics are great and the thoughts and info are awesome too!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 8:29 PM

Great shots of the skyscrapers ! Though, large cities are not my cup of tea, I guess I should schedule to visit some day !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in New York City

Have you been to New York City?

Latest Activity in New York City