"Lake Placid Area" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Placid by Bwana_Brown

Lake Placid Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 235 photos

During September, 2002, my wife and I drove through New England and the Lake Placid area of New York state on the way to a series of meetings that I was attending in Albany, NY. We had great weather, with temperatures in the high 20s and beautiful sunny days, including while we were in the Adirondack Mountains near Lake Placid. This is a very picturesque part of the state and we took the opportunity to get out of the rental van and do some mountain climbing. Photo of us atop the 4100 foot Cascade Mt. a few miles outside Lake Placid. It was a hot climb but the view from the top was fantastic. In our excitement to get climbing, we left our camera in the van and only realized it when we were halfway up! Luckily, a couple of very kind women from Montreal were on the peak as well and they consented to taking our picture with their camera and then mailed the photos to us a couple of weeks later! Meeting people like that is part of the fun of travelling!

• In a nutshell:Olympic history combined with fresh Mountain air!
  • Last visit to Lake Placid: Sep 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 23, 2007

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Glenn, lovely little page about this well known winter resort. I didn't know that Lake Placid was already twice the host of the Winter Olympics. I only knew about the 1980's games.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 6:29 AM

Don't feel so bad - I too did not know that it had also hosted the 1932 Olympics! Our stop there was a pleasant little diversion, as my wife came along with me to an electric power business meeting I had further down in New York state. Thanks for your comments.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I remember watching the Olympics there back then and you got to see it up close. Nice photos

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Oct 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Hi Bruce - thank you for your comment on my old Lake Placid trip! Thanks to my many trips to the USA to deal with various high voltage power transmission issues my wife and I were able to take in a lot of great landscapes in America. Regards, Glenn

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2007 at 8:43 AM

My favorite would have been the skating arenas used for the Olympics since, like your wife, I love the figure skating. The Adirondack Mountain hiking sounds great. The Old Fort and state park also sound delightful.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 9:46 PM

an interesting page, Glenn ! For me it is always again amazing to see, that former Olympic places get attention again and again by tourists, same thing in Innsbruck !

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM

I've wanted to visit this area for a long time. Cascade mtn looks beautiful!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 7:13 AM

Cool, an old British Fort on the shores on Lake Champlain. That might be worth a trip!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM

It seems there is a lot to visit in the Adirondack Mountains and Lake Placid are. What a contrast with NY !

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2003 at 10:23 AM

Cascade Mt looks like a wonderful hike!! You guys seem to have great times!! Cool page Glenn!

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2003 at 8:46 AM

I have not traveled a lot in New England. This looks like a beautiful place to visit.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Lake Placid

Have you been to Lake Placid?

Latest Activity in Lake Placid