"Capital of New York" Top 5 Page for this destination Albany by Bwana_Brown

Albany Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 137 photos

I have had a number of meetings in Albany in the last few years, including Sept/02, March/03, March/04 and now April/04. Since these are business trips, I usually have very little spare time to seek out the main attractions of the city. Consequently, this page mostly contains my impressions of things that I have seen or done quite fleetingly! My usual method of getting to Albany is to fly to Montreal and then use a rental car for the 3.5 hour drive south through the Adirondack Mountains (on our first trip though, my wife and I drove across Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont to get there by way of Lake Placid). From the two brief visits that I did have to downtown Albany, I was impressed by the architecture that I saw! Also, on this latest April/04 trip, there appears to be some very interesting places to visit not too far away as well. The opening photo shows a very impressive and deceptively huge building located in front of the State Capital building (which was under extensive renovation with scaffoldings when I was there in April, 2004).

I had another short stay in Albany, mid-November, 2004. I was flying through from one meeting in Kansas City, Missouri and heading west of Albany, to Cooperstown, NY, for another meeting before heading home.

A closer look at some of the detailed carving on the State Education building!

• In a nutshell:A City with Definite Potential - If Only I had Some Spare Time!
  • Last visit to Albany: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Dec 23, 2004

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Impressed with your restaurant and hotel tips with such great detail, insights, and descriptions. Also enjoyed your emphasis on the architecture that you observed.

• mirliya's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I walked around this beautiful building yesterday.The weather was too cold :) Thank you for sharing.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM

What a pity you didn't have enough time here in Albany I do like to take a break from restaurants and have a take away too!

• haunted1030's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 8:47 AM

You know of any hotels with a pool? Trish and the boys want to stay at one with a pool.

• Nov 3, 2007 at 1:22 PM

This is not the SUNY campus. this is off campus housing for SUNY Albany and St. Rose

• goingsolo's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2007 at 4:54 PM

The architecture is amazing! A friend of mine went to school at SUNY and told me lots of good things. Sounds like you made the most of your business trip.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2007 at 5:27 AM

Albany is the town my son in law grew up in. I've heard so much about its terrific architecture..but certainly off the beaten path. I'll remember your tips if I get a chance to go that way.

• Sep 9, 2005 at 8:24 AM

The Washington Avenue Armory Sports and Convention Arena is one of New York's premier mid-size venues for sports, entertainment and business. The Washington Avenue Armory is the home of the Albany Patroons Basketball Team.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 9, 2005 at 9:03 PM

I know that visiting a place on a job travel is always a challenge ! The NY State Education Building is absolutely impressive with its enormous columns!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2005 at 7:00 AM

Great resturant tips Glenn! Beer is often comforting, especially Sam Adams! Lou was just asking me what was in Albany. Thanks for the little overview! :)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Albany