"Carlsbad Caverns - it blew my mind!" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad Caverns National Park by Bwana_Brown

Through some twist of fate, I found myself working at an industrial site near Carlsbad, New Mexico for three weeks in late July/early August 2008. The work was all-pervasive (11-hour days six days per week) but once I realized that fabled Carlsbad Caverns National Park was so near, I simply had to see it for myself on one of my Sunday 'off-days'!

Wow, this is one impressive cave system with such astounding sights that it boggles the mind! It was a really enjoyable morning for me as I made the short drive south from the city of Carlsbad to within a few miles of the Texas border where Carlsbad Caverns are located. Through this page, please join me on my short walk as I explored the hidden delights of the Caverns. I entered the hard way - walking down to 750-feet below the surface via the 'Natural Entrance' that first revealed this geological wonder to the world (my General tip includes a map of the cavern system showing the different routes open to tourists).

• Pros:I've never seen anything quite like it
  • Cons:None that I could see
  • In a nutshell:A really amazing experience, just do it if you can!
  • Last visit to Carlsbad Caverns National Park: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2008

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2011 at 12:42 PM

The ratings are me, back again to add some info to my trip planner as we're off to NM in September! The scale of these caverns sounds so impressive, and I would love to see the bats in flight

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2010 at 3:46 PM

The natural beauty of the caverns is wonderful and it reads like you really got into the sites seeing.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 9:59 PM

From long ago, I have dreamed to visit Carlsbad caverns! Thank you for the thorough virtual visit!

• Babzz's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Thanks for the visit Glenn! It was actually your tips that pushed me to do a tour so that I got that extra info! The natural entrance route looks fantastic though and I wish I could have done it myself.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I imagine it must be a great experience to explore such a beautiful cave. And the scenery in the area is stunning as well.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 4:41 AM

I'm sure that cave felt more like Canada than the blistering New Mexican climate! Tough place to capture without a tripod but nice shot of the rattler.

• Sep 16, 2008 at 8:41 PM

a very interesting place... i love cave systems! would love to explore here one day. cheers glenn!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Interesting place to visit, I like snakes :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2008 at 2:05 PM

The Amphitheatre looks like a must see as does the caverns :( Shame your hotel breakfast was not up to scratch

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Certainly enjoyed reading about your adventures to and in Carlsbad Caverns. The information about the bats was really fascinating. You are such a dare devil !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Carlsbad Caverns National Park

Have you been to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?