"Carlsbad - a unique experience for me!" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by Bwana_Brown

Carlsbad Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 132 photos

My chance to experience the small city of Carlsbad came as a result of a sudden work opportunity that was offered the company I work for in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. It was July, 2008 and prices for potash, the world's number one crop fertilizer, were reaching never before heard of highs. One of the American mines in the area urgently needed some electrical maintenance work carried out on their facilities and chose us to do the work (after all, we do similar work in Saskatchewan and it is the world's largest producer of the stuff).

This translated into an initial 3-day scouting trip while we sized each other up and was then very quickly followed by a contract to send a 6-man crew down to start the process. I was involved in both expeditions, so this summary of my Carlsbad impressions is based on those initial few days followed by three weeks of working 10-hour days (plus an hour travelling) for six days per week and having Sundays off.

It turned out to be a great experience, since I always seem to enjoy trying something different as well as seeing what life is like in the many parts of this big world. The weather was great (usually in the low 30s C) and so were our accommodations - and it was fun seeing what Carlsbad had to offer!

• Pros:Carlsbad Caverns, Living Desert State Park & the Pecos River
  • Cons:Uninspiring landscape, middle of nowhere and a tricky spot when darkness falls
  • In a nutshell:I'm glad I experienced Carlsbad but it does not take long to use up the available attractions!
  • Last visit to Carlsbad: Aug 2008
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2008

• Mar 2, 2011 at 6:52 PM

looks like an interesting place to explore glenn. its been a while, how are yuo glenn? hope you have been keeping well.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2009 at 3:47 PM

I never knew anything about Carlsbad, so it was interesting reading about your stay there. It looks like a pleasant town.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Impressive page about the town of Carlsbad. Honest, informative, and quite interesting to read and view. The spider tip was especially terrific.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM

I knew the name of Carlsbad because of its famous caves but your page shows that this is much more than a cave! Good to see "for real" the Roadrunner!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2008 at 10:33 AM

As always, a very descriptive, informative and interesting page, Glenn! Also, your company sure sounds like it treats its employees well. Isn't it nice when works allows you to see part of the world with most of the expense covered?!?!

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 2:12 AM

So much of interest here! I love the sound of the Desert park, and how cool to see a road runner :-)) [my favourite cartoon as a kid] The descriptions of the flume etc and the mine itself fascinated me too

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2008 at 2:17 PM

interesting to see this artificial waterway-construction ! But I have to say that the real Karlsbad / Karlovi Vari looks a lot better that this ! ;-)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2008 at 3:16 PM

Amazing where your work will take you :) going underground is a song which springs to mind! I enjoyed reading your interesting page here Glenn!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 10:33 AM

Supern info as always Glenn! Lovely page!

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 11:32 AM

What a fascinating page to read, Glenn :-)) To see you working in the mine reminds me of "my" Saarland heritage. And I am still laughing tears about the sunbathing squirrel - a priceless photo! Thanks for this all!!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Carlsbad

Have you been to Carlsbad?