"Carlsbad - a unique experience for me!" Top 5 Page for this destination Carlsbad by Bwana_Brown
Carlsbad Travel Guide: 61 reviews and 132 photos
My chance to experience the small city of Carlsbad came as a result of a sudden work opportunity that was offered the company I work for in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada. It was July, 2008 and prices for potash, the world's number one crop fertilizer, were reaching never before heard of highs. One of the American mines in the area urgently needed some electrical maintenance work carried out on their facilities and chose us to do the work (after all, we do similar work in Saskatchewan and it is the world's largest producer of the stuff).
This translated into an initial 3-day scouting trip while we sized each other up and was then very quickly followed by a contract to send a 6-man crew down to start the process. I was involved in both expeditions, so this summary of my Carlsbad impressions is based on those initial few days followed by three weeks of working 10-hour days (plus an hour travelling) for six days per week and having Sundays off.
It turned out to be a great experience, since I always seem to enjoy trying something different as well as seeing what life is like in the many parts of this big world. The weather was great (usually in the low 30s C) and so were our accommodations - and it was fun seeing what Carlsbad had to offer!
- Pros:Carlsbad Caverns, Living Desert State Park & the Pecos River
- Cons:Uninspiring landscape, middle of nowhere and a tricky spot when darkness falls
- In a nutshell:I'm glad I experienced Carlsbad but it does not take long to use up the available attractions!
It is only a 27-mile drive from the city of Carlsbad to Carlsbad Caverns National Park via Highway 62/180 and a short... more travel advice
Leaving the rear of the Visitor Center, the Park is all set-up with a 1.3-mile (2-km) walking trail that winds its way... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Carlsbad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Carlsbad - a unique experience for me!"
- "Sharrie's Carlsbad Caverns 4th Dimension"
- "Basaic Carlsbad Page"
- "Carlsbad Caverns"
- "WFTR's new Carlsbad Page"
- "A serious Bat Cave Robin!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Carlsbad
- Hotels in Carlsbad
- Transportation in Carlsbad
- Restaurants in Carlsbad
- Warnings and Dangers in Carlsbad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Carlsbad
- 16 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Carlsbad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Carlsbad
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of roamer61's Carlsbad travel pages
- updated a Carlsbad Travel Page "Carlsbad - a unique experience for me!"
- Uploaded a Photo to "The river that crosses itself!"
- Wrote a Review Carlsbad Caverns NP is only a short drive away in Carlsbad Things to Do
Photos in CarlsbadSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos