"Exploring Portugal's southwest corner" Top 5 Page for this destination Algarve by Bwana_Brown
Algarve Travel Guide: 2,316 reviews and 6,246 photos
The Algarve was one of the parts of Portugal that we most wanted to see. As a result, we decided to spend two nights there so we would have some flexibility to adjust our plans depending on the weather that we encountered. In the end, the weather was great, sunny and in the mid-20 C range. However, our time was cut short by a few hours due to a problem in Lisbon that delayed the start of our road trip. Nevertheless, we found that the Algarve had a lot to offer - especially since we had decided to stay away from the main tourist areas (for the most part) and concentrate on some of its other delights.
To this end, using the tiny village of Aljezur as our base, we visited one of the less famous beaches on the western Atlantic coastline. This was then followed up by a whirlwind trip to the south coast where we took in the lighthouse and cliffs at Cape St. Vincent. In the heat of the afternoon, an obligatory visit to the sandy southern beaches was an interesting experience before we retreated to the cool inland airs of Mt. Foia, the highest peak in southern Portugal.
We were a bit disappointed and saddened by the damage done to the forests in the Monchique and Mt. Foia area by the severe forest fires of 2003. Even so, we still found that this area was well worth the drive for the views that it offered as the road twisted through the mountainous terrain.
This photo shows the famous 500-year old Manueline decorations on the church door in Monchique, a small village in the mountains.
For an overview of the area that we covered, please check my map in the General tips.
- Pros:A wide variety of interesting things to see and do
- Cons:Great in May, very busy in summer!
- In a nutshell:An extremely interesting part of Portugal
When we travel to a new country or location, we like to be able to travel around and see the sights at our leisure.... more travel advice
Following our arrival in the Algarve (see my 'Lisbon' page for our first adventures in Portugal) this tip gives an... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Algarve Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Exploring Portugal's southwest corner"
- "My Algarve"
- "Algarve - The West"
- " A romance with Algarve"
- "Exploring a beautiful coast"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Algarve
- Hotels in Algarve
- Transportation in Algarve
- Nightlife in Algarve
- Restaurants in Algarve
- Shopping in Algarve
- Warnings and Dangers in Algarve
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Algarve
- 30 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Algarve?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Algarve
- updated a Algarve Travel Page "Exploring Portugal's southwest corner"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Algarve travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Exploring Portugal's southwest corner"
- Wrote a Review A Handy Rental Car in Algarve Transportation
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos