"Exploring Portugal's southwest corner" Top 5 Page for this destination Algarve by Bwana_Brown

Algarve Travel Guide: 2,281 reviews and 6,140 photos

The Algarve was one of the parts of Portugal that we most wanted to see. As a result, we decided to spend two nights there so we would have some flexibility to adjust our plans depending on the weather that we encountered. In the end, the weather was great, sunny and in the mid-20 C range. However, our time was cut short by a few hours due to a problem in Lisbon that delayed the start of our road trip. Nevertheless, we found that the Algarve had a lot to offer - especially since we had decided to stay away from the main tourist areas (for the most part) and concentrate on some of its other delights.

To this end, using the tiny village of Aljezur as our base, we visited one of the less famous beaches on the western Atlantic coastline. This was then followed up by a whirlwind trip to the south coast where we took in the lighthouse and cliffs at Cape St. Vincent. In the heat of the afternoon, an obligatory visit to the sandy southern beaches was an interesting experience before we retreated to the cool inland airs of Mt. Foia, the highest peak in southern Portugal.

We were a bit disappointed and saddened by the damage done to the forests in the Monchique and Mt. Foia area by the severe forest fires of 2003. Even so, we still found that this area was well worth the drive for the views that it offered as the road twisted through the mountainous terrain.

This photo shows the famous 500-year old Manueline decorations on the church door in Monchique, a small village in the mountains.

For an overview of the area that we covered, please check my map in the General tips.

• Pros:A wide variety of interesting things to see and do
  • Cons:Great in May, very busy in summer!
  • In a nutshell:An extremely interesting part of Portugal
  • Last visit to Algarve: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2007

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Glenn, your tips and photos brought back nice memories of my bicycle tour of the Algarve, which was just over fifty years ago. (Fifty years ago today I had already reached Lisbon.)

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2012 at 4:41 AM

You certainly found a fabulous Beach and Cliff's, but you wouldn't catch me in that little fishing boat!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2010 at 9:54 AM

Sounds great to sit in the sun on an empty beach sipping wine! I have never been to Algarve but if I visit Portugal again I would defenitly go there.

• Sep 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM

We stumbled on this place in identical fashion last week - noone else there but very friendly owner came out and organised set menu lunch for us. Delicious 4 course meal for 30E a head. We will definitely be going back.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Imaginative and alternative view of the Algarve. A joy not to have to look at Praia De Rocha etc. This is somewhere we could get to by direct flight from Cork so I'm reading with geat interest and of course pleasure :))

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2007 at 9:43 AM

What would the Algarve be without its stunning coastline? Your page brings back some nice memories for me

• Sep 5, 2007 at 6:53 AM

I have never been to Portugal and I would love to visit Algarve as first. So thanks for your excellent tips! Greetings from Italy, Francesca

• Aug 15, 2007 at 7:03 AM

ola Bwana, thanks for the info on the Algarve.

• 2_lovelygirls_FR's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2007 at 3:14 AM

Great pages and tips about Portugal. Heading to the Algarve this summer fo rsome sightseeing. Thanks for sharing your wonderful trips ;-) Cheers from Ireland!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Thank you for rating my Coban page. Your kind words always mean a lot.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Algarve

Have you been to Algarve?