"I finally made it to the Mackinac Bridge!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mackinaw City by Bwana_Brown

Mackinaw City Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 79 photos

A great deal of Spring, 2010 was taken up by activities related to the sale of our long-time house in Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada - but finally all the details and paperwork were sorted out by May 4. I had to return to work in western Canada within five days, so Sue and I loaded up our car and hit the USA interstate highway system the next morning. Driving down through New England, we made it to Utica, NY 1100-km later for our first stop. As it turned out, our drive the following day took us through the rest of New York state, a bit of Pennsylvania on the Lake Erie shore and through most of Ohio. However, when we saw that we would be hitting the terrible 'rush-hour' traffic around Chicago if we kept heading west (and we had already done that on two previous trips) we decided to veer north at Toledo, Ohio and take the 'scenic' route through the state of Michigan instead.

This was one state that I had driven past on all of its sides but had never actually entered. Besides, I had always wanted to see the Straits of Mackinac at its northern end as well as the famous suspension bridge that spans this channel between Lakes Huron and Michigan!

• Pros:An interesting small Off-the-Beaten-Path destination
  • Cons:It is a long way from anywhere in all directions
  • In a nutshell:Looks like it could be interesting during the summer months
  • Last visit to Mackinaw City: May 2010
  • Intro Updated May 16, 2010

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2010 at 7:39 AM

This was all new to me although I hav e been to Michigan many times. Good deal on the hotel. You seldom go wrong with staying at a Sheraton.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2010 at 4:01 PM

Nice tiny little page! I've never heard of this location before, nor about the bridge; interesting info here!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM

Mackinac Bridge looks really impressive! Good find with the voucher. You certainly deserved a good hotel to take a rest and get new forces for another 1100-km drive :)

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 5:20 AM

Thanks for the lesson. I was actually curious enough to check the map and now I know exactly the location of this place :)

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Another tick on your travel map :)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2010 at 8:11 PM

Good to see a new page from you and a piece of your trip out west. We hit that Chicago traffic big time on our trip back east! We also used those coupon books for our rooms (D's find as well! lol). An area I'd like to explore one day is now very far away.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2010 at 3:26 AM

That is some bridge! Good tip about the hotel vouchers too.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM

a really impressive bridge !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Mackinaw City

Have you been to Mackinaw City?