"Wonderful Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal by Bwana_Brown
Portugal Travel Guide: 19,807 reviews and 56,509 photos
During the last two weeks of May, 2004, my wife and I had the most wonderful vacation in Portugal as we rented a car and tried to take-in as much of the country as we could. In the end, two weeks is not nearly enough time to do justice to this amazing country! It may look small on a map, but it is so packed full of history and amazing sights that you could keep coming back forever and still miss some great stuff!
Normally, I'm not that keen on big cities but Lisbon is one of the few (London, San Francisco and Montreal) that I could spend some time in very easily. We had allowed some settling-in time to adapt to the time zone and cultural differences, but our 3-4 days in the city did not allow us to even scratch it's surface!
After that, we picked up our rental car and hit the road for the next 10-days to see what else this great country had to offer. We were not disappointed! Check out my General tips for a map of our route, but we initially headed south and drove counter-clockwise around the country. Our route took us from Lisbon (also nearby Sintra and Belem) to Algarve, Evora, Monsaraz, Marvao, Monsanto, Covilha, Guarda, Lamego, Geraz do Minho, Pinhao, Praia de Mira, Obidos, Ilha da Berlenga and finally Distrito de Lisboa as we completed the 1550-mile (2500-km loop).
We saw beaches, mountaintop castles, rugged mountains and not-so-rugged mountains as well as some amazing architecture. The Portugese people were so friendly, the scenery was wonderful and the road system is fantastic! I've arranged my 'Things to Do' Tips generally in the order of our trip as we went from one location to the next.
This is a vacation that we will always cherish!
- Pros:People, culture, scenery and historic sites
- Cons:The food is a bit bland, but so what?
- In a nutshell:One of the Best Places I have ever visited
One of the dining customs that we had not experienced before dealt with small tidbits placed on your table to tide you... more travel advice
We had planned our trip from Canada by reading the tips of various VT members (especially 'Canadienne' and 'Micas_pt')... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Portugal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal in my heart"
- "Portugal my lovely country"
- "Wonderful Portugal"
- "Portugal by Car"
- "Portugal - Country of Batles"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portugal
- Hotels in Portugal
- Transportation in Portugal
- Nightlife in Portugal
- Restaurants in Portugal
- Shopping in Portugal
- Warnings and Dangers in Portugal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portugal
- 360 Reviews
- 383 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Portugal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portugal
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos