"Wonderful Portugal" Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal by Bwana_Brown

Portugal Travel Guide: 19,807 reviews and 56,509 photos

During the last two weeks of May, 2004, my wife and I had the most wonderful vacation in Portugal as we rented a car and tried to take-in as much of the country as we could. In the end, two weeks is not nearly enough time to do justice to this amazing country! It may look small on a map, but it is so packed full of history and amazing sights that you could keep coming back forever and still miss some great stuff!

Normally, I'm not that keen on big cities but Lisbon is one of the few (London, San Francisco and Montreal) that I could spend some time in very easily. We had allowed some settling-in time to adapt to the time zone and cultural differences, but our 3-4 days in the city did not allow us to even scratch it's surface!

After that, we picked up our rental car and hit the road for the next 10-days to see what else this great country had to offer. We were not disappointed! Check out my General tips for a map of our route, but we initially headed south and drove counter-clockwise around the country. Our route took us from Lisbon (also nearby Sintra and Belem) to Algarve, Evora, Monsaraz, Marvao, Monsanto, Covilha, Guarda, Lamego, Geraz do Minho, Pinhao, Praia de Mira, Obidos, Ilha da Berlenga and finally Distrito de Lisboa as we completed the 1550-mile (2500-km loop).

We saw beaches, mountaintop castles, rugged mountains and not-so-rugged mountains as well as some amazing architecture. The Portugese people were so friendly, the scenery was wonderful and the road system is fantastic! I've arranged my 'Things to Do' Tips generally in the order of our trip as we went from one location to the next.

This is a vacation that we will always cherish!

• Pros:People, culture, scenery and historic sites
  • Cons:The food is a bit bland, but so what?
  • In a nutshell:One of the Best Places I have ever visited
  • Last visit to Portugal: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 20, 2007

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2010 at 1:19 PM

This place has many nice looking castles and forts, both my favorites on trips. Your detail explanations are great.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 10:34 PM

I have long wanted to see more of Portugal. You have whet my appetite even more with your comprehensive account of this great tour - certainly took me far from the snowy wastes of Wales!Will be back for more.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Oh wow, you really did tour through Portugal!! I love these little villages, especially Monsanto, and the mountains and Alentejo with the cork oaks! And could have a Portugese coffee right now :-))

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2009 at 3:35 PM

We plan to see this Monument of Discoveries when we visit Lisbon this September --- but I don't think we'll see the other wonderful places you have in your tips (sigh)! Thanks for sharing, Norman

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Sintra is indeed a top destination Greetz

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 11:35 AM

Marvao is where I went on my very 1st visit to Portugal racing from Albequerque to M then down thru Evora to Seville's April Fair for all nt photos of crazy Spanish revellers!been back since.exactly how I feel about the xlnt DK guides to go with the LP!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2008 at 12:46 PM

Glenn, fabulous overview with brilliant photos of this fantastic country. It mus be a great feeling to drive over the magnificent Vasco da Gama bridge.

• evilprebil's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Thanks for the comment! :) -You have such beautiful pictures/tips on Portugal, which is great since it is so unknown to North Americans! I was very impressed by the depth of each tip. Best Regards, Happy Travels!!!! E

• mustertal's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 12:36 PM

What a great trip, I'm thinking of going to Portugal next year.You paint a wonderful picture.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Another great page of yours. Last year planning my trip to Ireland I came across your Irish pages, and this time it's Portugal. Interesting, well-written, accompanied by great pics and packed with useful tips.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Portugal

Have you been to Portugal?

Latest Activity in Portugal