"A bit too close to Chicago for comfort!" Joliet by Bwana_Brown

Joliet Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 26 photos

The second night of our trip (after Fergus Falls, Minnesota) from western Canada to Atlantic Canada found us on the southern outskirts of Chicago as darkness began to fall after another 10-hour day of driving 1000-km. It was a Wednesday night and the traffic was not too bad as we kept a look-out for the helpful signs on Intersate Highway 80/90 as we entered the congested area surrounding the 'Windy City'. I had read that the morning and evening traffic jams in this area can get serious, but had put in enough time that we decided to pull up short of the Indiana state line when we saw a sign for another Comfort Inn in the community of Joliet, just west of the southern end of Lake Michigan. It turned out to be a mistake, but at least not a costly one (see my 'Warning & Dangers' tip).

• Pros:Lots of nearby stores and facilities, if you need them
  • Cons:High traffic area during Chicago's 'rush hour' periods
  • In a nutshell:Overnight there only if you are heading west or south!
  • Last visit to Joliet: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Nov 7, 2009

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Rushhour in Chicago, I think you should have stayed in bed instead or enjoy a longer breakfast !

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Tough keeping it in mind all the time, traffic jams are, unfortunately, not always possible to avoid. Well, at least you took a good rest in your hotel and enjoy breakfast before this tiresome journey started.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Oh my, this traffic congestion sounds like the one I had on our motorway north this summer, it is so tiring! But at least you found a nice hotel before to get some good rest!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Sorry to hear about you experiencing rush hour in Chicago, Glenn. We hit this as well and it was a baseball playoff as well and the White Sox were in it that year! We did make it to the brewery eventually! And I sure needed it.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Joliet