"Saint Augustine - Well Worth a Detour!" Saint Augustine by Bwana_Brown

Saint Augustine Travel Guide: 715 reviews and 1,954 photos

A few years ago, when my children were still in the mood to travel with us, we used to take the odd week-long March school-break trip to Florida to speed up the end of another Canadian winter. My first three trips always involved a stay at Daytona Beach for a few days to get in some sand and sea before heading inland to Walt Disney World in Orlando. However, the problem with Daytona at that time of year was that it always seemed to coincide with a major motorcycle rally of some sort. The streets were absolutely clogged with these big machines and the noise was deafening, including at night when the partying really started. Right, we said, this time we will pull off Interstate Highway I-95 a little further north and see what delights the historic city of Saint Augustine has to offer! It turned out to be a good choice, since this oldest permanently European inhabited city in continental USA is full of interesting things. We spent two nights here on the way south and another on the way home, after our four nights in Orlando.

• Pros:Very Historic
  • Cons:A bit touristy, like most things in Florida
  • In a nutshell:Interestingly Different From Other Florida Cities
  • Last visit to Saint Augustine: Mar 1994
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2005

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2009 at 5:54 AM

I wonder what Henry Flagler would think of St Augustine now. Interesting page with nice photos. The beach looks good.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 10:42 AM

As many times as I've visited Florida, I hate to say that I've not been in Saint Augustine. It looks quite delightful. I'm still smiling about the dog in sunglasses waiting for its master. Terrific pages, Glenn.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 7:52 PM

When I saw your intro picture, I felt something was wrong and that it had not been shot in America! As the oldest European settlement on the continent, I understand why! Wow, 2600km in 2 days, that's great!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 5:34 PM

A great history of the fort. I wanted to visit St. Augustine when I was eleven while we were staying in Daytona but my Dad said no. I don't think he knew what he missed.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 4:12 AM

St. Augustine is a hoot. You are right when you say it is quirky.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2005 at 8:57 AM

Neat tour Glenn. You have a way of making small places seem big.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 4:59 AM

I guess when you're escaping a blizzard, everywhere seems pretty great! Canadians will never tire of Florida for that very reason. Thanks for the virtual tour of a place just up the road from me.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 3:53 AM

Great page, thanks for refreshing my great memories. Well, although I visited only northern Florida, I do think that just St. Augustine is the best destination in FL (for adults :-).

• windsorgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2005 at 7:17 AM

I had never heard of St. Augustine before now, it looks like a nice change from the party atomosphere of Daytona and Ft.Lauderdale. My family also made the March break pilgrimage to Florida....brings back fond memories!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 5:47 PM

So many pages and tips!! I'll have to come back for another look. Great work. : )

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Saint Augustine

Have you been to Saint Augustine?