"A Nice Base in Florida" Port Saint Lucie by Bwana_Brown
Port Saint Lucie Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 10 photos
While on a recent business trip, I made use of a spare day to visit a distant relative who is now spending his time in a Senior's Home in Port Saint Lucie. I had brought him a small gift, packed in my luggage, but was not able to deliver it because my suitcase was temporairily lost due to missing its connection to Orlando as I passed through Boston. He had a good chuckle when I told him what had happened to his 'surprise'! On prior visits to this area, I noticed how nice it was to be able to get right out onto the coast by crossing over the bridges to Hutchinson's Island, making Port Saint Lucie a handy base to explore this part of southeastern Florida. Photo of the entrance to the Senior's Home at 3700 SE Jennings Road.
Syd, now approaching 91, was born in England but was brought up in South Africa. On the outbreak of World War II, he enlisted in the South African army and fought as part of the British 8th Army in North Africa against the Italians as well as the German General Rommel. In the end, he was part of the British forces captured with the fall of Tobruk, Libya and spent the remainder of the war in Prisoner of War camps in Italy and Germany. Syd married an English lass, who actually was brought up in Saskatchewan, Canada and they had a long and happy marraige - with their latter years spent in the Ft. Lauderdale and Port Saint Lucie areas of Florida. With the passing of his wife a few years ago, Syd continued to live on his own in their condo until this past year when his failing health required a change to supervised accommodations. Right up until a couple of years ago, he could still 'shoot his age' at golf!
I was really amazed at the quality of the grounds, buildings and rooms at Harbor Place! It has a spacious layout, with great gardens and very high quality exterior and interior decor. There also seemed to be great variety in the daily programs available to the residents. Photo of the entranceway to the block housing Syd's private apartment.
- Pros:Good Location, not far from the coast
- Cons:Tourists like Me!
As I was entering Syd's apartment complex just before 7 AM, I came across this good-sized tree frog exploring the... more travel advice
Since my flight from Canada arrived in Orlando at 7 PM, I decided to drive the 120-miles to Port Saint Lucie the same... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Port Saint Lucie Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Nice Base in Florida"
- "Port St Lucie- Beaches to Baseball"
- "Traditions Fields"
- "Port St. Lucie"
- "St. Lucie County, Florida"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Saint Lucie
- Hotels in Port Saint Lucie
- Transportation in Port Saint Lucie
- Nightlife in Port Saint Lucie
- Restaurants in Port Saint Lucie
- Shopping in Port Saint Lucie
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Saint Lucie
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Port Saint Lucie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Saint Lucie
Photos in Port Saint LucieSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos