"Hartford - A Very Pleasant Destination!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hartford by Bwana_Brown

Hartford Travel Guide: 166 reviews and 236 photos

Although I say that my 'world travels' began in 1972, really, the first trip that I remember outside of my home province was a drive to Mystic, Connecticut (to visit relatives) with my parents in the late 1950s! Hence, it was nice to have the opportunity to revisit Connecticut, this time for a business meeting in Hartford. I must also acknowledge a debt of gratitude to VT for raising my consciousness level such that I now take a look at some of these more 'mundane' destinations while I have the chance, instead of immediately getting on my laptop to beat back the ever-rising pile of email messages! In short, I was impressed by what I saw of Hartford! Immediately upon arriving in the city at about 5:45 PM on a Monday night, I took a stroll downtown on a beautiful sunny June day. The first really impressive building that I came across was the Center Church, built in 1802 to replace an earlier structure that had been erected in 1637.

• Pros:Wide streets, Beautiful Parks & Stately Buildings
  • Cons:None that I saw in my brief visit
  • In a nutshell:A Nice Place to Wander Around
  • Last visit to Hartford: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I've never been to Hartford, but my younger son spent several months there on a school exchange when he was 12 (he's 30 now) and felt very welcome. I was interested in your tip about the "Walk" lights. Fortunately CT now has a Complete Streets law.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Good page, Glenn. Nice architecture. Excellent warning tip- sounds like India (the pedestrian crossings are hopeless!)...Nice restuarant tips too.

• canuckmike's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2008 at 12:50 PM

One I was a kid I used to love the Hartford Whalers. Love to visit for that reason alone.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 9:56 AM

The monument for the Civil War veterans reminds me of the twin towers that grace the bridge in Heidelberg, Germany. Hartford looks like a lovely town. Kat

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2005 at 1:45 PM

Hartford is so close to us, but I've never visited...always speeding past on our way somewhere. You've reminded me that I should check it out. Thanks for the tips.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2005 at 12:51 PM

It is amazing to find in Hartford, Connecticut a way to handle the traffic light that one expect usually in Europe and I should even say in Mediterranean Europe !

• Ace43's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 7:12 AM

Traveler's Ins. shows their community spirit by changing the light around the top of their tower from white to blue whenever a UConn basketball team wins the NCAA championship!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2004 at 9:30 AM

Some lovely buildings in Hartford. Nice photos

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2003 at 10:26 AM

Hartford is a city that I've never visited, only passed through several times. I have relatives there too!! The Old State House looks cool!!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Hartford

Have you been to Hartford?

Latest Activity in Hartford