San Diego Things to Do Tips by Bwana_Brown
San Diego Things to Do: 1,124 reviews and 2,356 photos
Zoo Skyfari Ride
If you become tired of walking on the many trails in the Zoo, you can take a short-cut directly from one side of the Zoo to the other (from the Entrance area to the Polar Bear area) by means of the Skyfari gondola system. The waiting time was very short to access the gondola cars and it was well worth it for the great overview of the whole area as you silently float along! This is the view heading back toward the entrance area as we approach one of the restaurant complexes - Tree House Cafe/Albert's Restaurant.
Pacific Ocean Beach at del Coronado
The Hotel del Coronado also had a large expanse of beach, looking out towards Point Loma where the Spaniards first landed on this coast. The Cabrillo National Monument on the point memorialized this act. This photo was taken from the Del's glass-walled promenade deck between the beach and their outdoor swimming pool area.
Sable Antelope taken from Tour Bus Upper Deck
Also located close to the downtown area of San Diego is the San Diego Zoo, which has been in operation since the early 1900s. The Zoo is located in a wooded valley and comprises numerous walking trails as well as a road system for the Zoo bus tours. There are a number of interesting species of animals located here - we found the gorillas to be particularly interesting. Also, the polar bears were very interesting to observe and it was great to observe hippos swimming underwater through the glass-paned viewing area. We arranged our all-day tour from the resort for US$28 - it included admission, a half-hour bus tour to get a relatively quick idea of the entire zoo and two tickets to the aerial sky-tram system. Although the Zoo was very well organized, it did not have a major impact on me because I had seen many of the animals in their native habitat in Africa.
View of Old Town
A complex of older buildings located in downtown San Diego has been preserved as a tourist shopping area, and is known as Old Town. This is also the location where the Trolley-tour of the town starts and ends. Photo of one of the buildings in mid-morning before the crowds have built up.
San Diego Harbour Scene
Looking out into the San Diego harbour, one could see one of the few US Navy aircraft carriers that was not deployed overseas in response to the Iraq crisis at the time - the USS John C. Stennis distantly visible in the centre of the photo.
Seaport Village Yacht Basin
Also in the Seaport Village area was this large basin where many yachts were docked, right beside the tourist shopping area.
Seaport Village Walking Paths
One of the Trolley-tour stops included the Seaport Village area along the San Diego harbour waterfront. This is an area of shops and restaurants located close to the cruise ship docking wharfs.
del Coronado's Courtyard
The Hotel del Coronado had a very large enclosed rectangular courtyard amongst its many nooks and crannies.
Partial View of 'the Del' Hotel
Actually, if I had to pick a favourite activity for San Diego - it would be the Hotel del Coronado. It is the largest all wood building in the USA, constructed in 1888 as a luxury hotel on the Pacific Ocean. We only had a short time to tour parts of the hotel on our Trolley tour of the city but, what I did see, was amazing! The opulance of the dark wood interiors, the well manicured grounds, the fantastic ocean view, etc. This location has been used by various Presidents to host visiting royal guests and I would say that it was definitely up to the task!
Address: Coronado Island
More Reviews (9)
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
San Diego Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "San Diego, California"
- "San Diego"
- "Jim_Eliason's San Diego Page"
- "Warm up to San Diego"
- "PAGE DEDICATED TO LINDA (lmkluque on VT)"
- "Something for everyone...San Diego"
- "So Cal... So Cool!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Diego
- Hotels in San Diego
- Transportation in San Diego
- Nightlife in San Diego
- Restaurants in San Diego
- Shopping in San Diego
- Warnings and Dangers in San Diego
- See All...
Badges & Stats in San Diego
- 18 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to San Diego?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Diego
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of RickinDutch's San Diego travel pages
- updated a San Diego Travel Page "Winter in San Diego"
- Wrote a Review City Trolley Tour about Old Town Trolly / Tours in San Diego Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "City Trolley Tour"
Photos in San DiegoSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (75)
- San Diego Zoo- 144 Reviews, 214 Photos
- SeaWorld- 83 Reviews, 127 Photos
- Gaslamp Quarter- 35 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Balboa Park- 121 Reviews, 249 Photos
- Seaport Village- 33 Reviews, 89 Photos
- La Jolla- 45 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Old Town San Diego- 66 Reviews, 186 Photos
- U.S.S. Midway- 30 Reviews, 100 Photos
- Coronado- 36 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Cabrillo National Monument- 46 Reviews, 120 Photos
See All San Diego Things to Do