"Andalucía - a fantastic winter vacation spot!" Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía by Bwana_Brown

Andalucía Travel Guide: 12,603 reviews and 33,198 photos

My wife and I spent three weeks in Spain over the Christmas 2008/New Year 2009 holiday season as we sought to escape the -40 C temperatures of western Canada. Our research on Spain indicated that Andalucía was the place to be at that time of the year so away we went - spending 17 nights roaming from place to place in our rental car (as well as 3 nights in Madrid and 2 more in Alicante after flying to the Mediterranean coast there).

Andalucía is an amazing part of Spain - we simply loved it. During the course of our travels we took in its historic cities, the majestic Sierra Nevada mountains, several ancient 'white villages', the Mediterranean shores, fabulous gorges, the rugged Atlantic Ocean coast, Roman ruins and finally the hidden gem of El Cabo de Gata-Nijar Nature Park. Heck, while we were there we even threw Gibraltar into the pot! The people were friendly and accommodations were great, making this one of our favourite vacation experiences.

Take a ride along with us on this page - I've put all the tips in the order in which we did them to make it a bit easier to follow our trip. Also, my 'General' tip contains a map of the area that shows our driving route and also where some of the main attractions are located.

• Pros:Tremendous variety, not busy in winter and mild temperatures too!
  • Cons:The weather could be dicey in winter - we were lucky with it
  • In a nutshell:Andalucía was perfect for us but might be too busy for my tastes in summer
  • Last visit to Andalucía: Jan 2009
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2010

• Jul 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Hi Glenn, I am at the very beginning stages of planning (and winging it) a trip to Spain and Portugal during the month of Sept, or part Sept part Oct. We will be able to go for 4 wks. (husband and I) I am enjoying your pages very much and will be in contact with you again. You do a fabulous job, thanks !!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Hi, Glenn! Your page makes interesting reading! Thanks for sharing your impressions here!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Jun 28, 2013 at 5:57 AM

Thank you for your comments on my Andalucia page. Yes, Andalucia is indeed a great tourist area, especially if you get there during the Christmas/New Year period when the crowds don't seem too big. It was one of our favourite trips.

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2010 at 12:52 AM

this looks like an amazing tour of andalusia, I agree with you, some hotels or B&B can sure be a tourist attraction.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 1:31 PM

The Alhambra is of course high on our wish list. Thanks to remind me how beautiful it is! I did not know about El Torqal Nature Park Reserve and that is a visit to add. Yummy restaurant tips! Alcachafel=artichoke. Thanks for this very informative page!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2010 at 4:35 AM

I have really enjoyed traveling through Spain with you. You did a wonderful job of describing your journey. Thanks,Glenn

• unaS's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I too loved Sevilla and Granada. You have awoken some great memories - and introduced some new goals. Many thanks

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 7:38 AM

Great overview of this most fascinating region. The Moorish history of Spain is a particular interest of mine. I'll be back for more soon. leyle

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2010 at 3:12 PM

It seems that you had Spain to yourselves ;) Casa Sol y Luna looks to be a great find!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Love the info about the goat herders. We also loved the Orange tree streets. Great hotel and restaurant tips. Ronda and Sevilla were favorites for us, especially the Parador Hotel. Excellent job, Glenn.

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Great overview of Andalucia bringing back sweet memories and many new information about this wonderful land! Dream to come back there one day and see more and more... Thank you Glenn for sharing!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Andalucía

Have you been to Andalucía?