"Tonto National Forest" Top 5 Page for this destination Apache Junction by Bwana_Brown

Apache Junction Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 185 photos

At the tail end of a business trip to Scottsdale, my wife and I were finally free between the noon wrap-up and our scheduled 10 PM departure for the East. We decided that this would be a great chance to explore some countryside in the Phoenix area, so we immediately took off in our rental car, headed for the Tonto National Forest to the east of the city. It proved to be a very interesting drive as we passed through flat desert terrain with saguaro cactus, over steep ridges and finally along the twisting and narrow Apache Trail. Since this was the first time that I had been in the southwest, I had a great time taking in all the new sights! This photo was taken from Rte. 87 as we were headed north to Payson, showing a typical desert scene in this part of the Tonto National Forest. I remember thinking that this is not what I would call a 'forest' in Canada but then I realized that, as far as cacti go, maybe this really was a forest!

• Pros:Varied Landscape & the Scenic Apache Trail
  • In a nutshell:An interesting diversion not far from Scottsdale
  • Last visit to Apache Junction: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 28, 2004

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Well-you got to the remote place of Phoenix area. I am going to drive and hike out that way mid December, and your pictures of the scenery wet my appetite to just do it. I am hiking in remote Superstition Wilderness. Nice comments

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 2:18 PM

That really does look like a pleasant place to have a conference. Amazing that the Tonto National Forest is nearly as big as Connecticut, yet it's only the 5th largest National Forest in the USA.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2009 at 9:44 PM

The poolside at Double Tree looks very inviting. Yet, seeing all those wonderful cactus is a beautiful sight to me.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 6:20 AM

love the cacti forest - do you know the saying - it's cactus?

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 1:44 PM

Oh we loved the Apache Trail! Someday I hope we go back and finish it up, we missed Tonto National Monument.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2005 at 12:34 AM

Ah, now I can see what you meant - yes, Apache Junction is really something nice and different :-)

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 4:33 AM

We were in the Tonto National Forest last week on our southwestern trek. Thanks for your great pages on a fascinating place.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2004 at 9:21 PM

Tonto National Forest is one of my best souvenirs in Arizona. Thanks for sharing !

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 4:06 PM

What a great scenery & wonderful pics !

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2004 at 8:06 AM

That opening photo looks straight out of a Western Movie!! I'll be back for the commmentary!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Apache Junction

Have you been to Apache Junction?

Latest Activity in Apache Junction