"Two Vacations in One!" Provincia de Puntarenas by Bwana_Brown

Provincia de Puntarenas Travel Guide: 734 reviews and 1,437 photos

My wife and I travelled to Costa Rica for a week of vacation, in early February, 2001, in order to ease the painful passing of another Canadian winter. As a result of an ice-storm delayed departure, it was close to midnight when we landed in the capital city of San Jose and were picked up by a mini-van for transportation to the Pacific coast side of the country. There were only 6 passengers, plus the driver and his buddy for the nightime drive. I found it to be a very interesting trip down the twisting mountain roads as we wound down to near sea-level, even though all we could see were some magnificent displays of town and village lights spread out below. It was past 3 AM when we arrived at our first destination, a planned 3-day stop in the rain forest at an eco-lodge call Villa Lapas. As it turned out, we had a very pleasant stay there and found the staff to be extremely friendly! Villa Lapa was relaxing because it has only a limited number of rooms and it is located in the rain forest, away from other resorts. The site has a nice brook running through the property as well as its own sky-walk trail with suspension bridges within walking distance of the accommodations area. A Costa Rican-trained zoologist leads the tours and he did a fantastic job pointing out all the hidden delights of the forest canopy! From there, we travelled onward to the Pacific coast where we stayed in a traditional holiday resort just outside the town of Puntarenas for the final 4 days of our trip. Once again, the accommodations at the Fiesta Resort were first-rate. While there, we also took a one-day bus excursion to the Arenal volcano, with the drive through the Costa Rican countryside being worth the cost of the trip in itself! Altogether, we had an extremely enjoyable visit to Costa Rica!

• Pros:Rain Forests, Volcanoes & Beaches
  • In a nutshell:A friendly and interesting place to visit!
  • Last visit to Provincia de Puntarenas: Feb 2001
  • Intro Updated Dec 16, 2004

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 11, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Nice page! Costa Rica is a country I have long wanted to visit. It was obviously a great place to escape the Canadian winter.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2010 at 11:47 PM

This Villa Lapas sounds like a great find!! I always had Costa Rica and the rainforest on my wishlist and I still dream to do one of these canopy walks and some riding :-)

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Looks like paradise. Love the sunset photo!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Rainforest, hot springs and the coast, sounds like you had a wonderful holiday! I have been to Costa Rica on two short visits, but it is 18 years ago and I would very much like to go back again.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Costa Rica is one of the top countries in the world for birdwatching, so I'll definitely have to go there someday. Looks like a great place to escape the winter weather in the Great White North.

• RAZOR-REN's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM

HAHA, I SEE. YOU GOT LOTS OF PHOTOS EVERYWHERE...

• Redlats's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2006 at 10:20 AM

One of our future trips will be to CR. I especially like the idea of the canopy hike. What is the currency, US$? Heh, so to work at the resort, you had to cook, sing AND dance.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2006 at 5:23 PM

The rainforest canopy adventure sounds great. Closer to the birds. How nice to be given a show just for the two of you.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 12:54 PM

This place really looks like paradise !

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2006 at 12:43 PM

I think they simply do not bother with ATM's, might get robbed. beside that hickup, lovely place to kick back&enjoy life. hotpools great stuff for the old bones LOL. fine page Glenn

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Provincia de Puntarenas

Have you been to Provincia de Puntarenas?