"Ya Betta Belize It!" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize by Bwana_Brown

Belize Travel Guide: 2,591 reviews and 5,512 photos

Although I had a Belizian friend decades ago while attending university, it was the pages of VT-members 'Windsorgirl' and 'JetLagCity' that got me thinking that maybe the place really does have possibilities! Having recently retired, I finally had enough free time on my hands that perhaps I could actually go somewhere and linger for a while. With another Canadian winter looming on the horizon, the matter was settled - my wife and I booked ourselves for a 3-week jaunt around the country and also decided that we should try backpacking while we were at it!

Belize more than met our expectations. The weather was great, the people fantastic and the scenes gorgeous! We did our usual thing of arranging our own accommodations before leaving, except for a 3-day stint when we had a rental vehicle lined-up and were footloose and fancy free. Our trip had quite a mixture of experiences, starting with sandy beaches and snokeling coral reefs off the north coast at Caye Caulker and Ambergris Cay. Our rental allowed us to visit a Black Howler Monkey sanctuary as well as the Belize Zoo, both located in the savannah forests of the mainland. It also enabled us to check out more of the coastal life in Belize, at the tiny village of Hopkins where we saw Manatees swimming just off the beach. After returning our rental vehicle, that part of our trip was followed by some amazing birdwatching at the Crooked Tree inland fresh water lagoon before we headed deeper inland. We really hit our peak along the border area with Guatemala, enjoying the Mayan ruins of both Xunantunich in Belize and the world famous Tikal National Park (slipped over the border for a couple of days for that one), as well as a tubing trip through the Belizian jungle as we dealt with the rapids of the Mopan River. Finally, swimming into the Actun Tunichil Muknal cave for a deep underground exploration of its 1100-1700 year old Mayan sacrificial remains was something completely different!

We enjoyed great accommodations and a variety of food as we moved around Belize and I still cannot get over how many locals and travellers we had the privilege to meet and talk with. Give Belize a try if you get the chance - you won't be disappointed! My 'General Tips' map shows our travels in Belize as well as where we found accommodations.

• Pros:Small, friendly, inexpensive & beautiful
  • Cons:Belize City
  • In a nutshell:An amazing variety of experiences packed into a small country!
  • Last visit to Belize: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 2, 2008

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Looks like a really interesting trip! We went to Tikal on our 1st trip but we flew in and out the same day. It was a little rushed.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
      Feb 10, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Oh well, at least you got to see Tikal and well worth it even if only for a short time. Our time there was a bit rushed too, arriving in the afternoon and leaving again the next afternoon back to Belize. Still, it was worth the drive!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM

great page!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

A fellow bird handler just came back from Belize. She said it was their best vacation, and especially loved the zoo. I decided to check Belize out to learn more about it. Great pages, loved your suggested things to do, and was surprised to find that the Cashew tree had "apples". Thanks!

• bahamamartinimaker's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

so great to see this posting! My husband and I are gearing up for our first trip to Belize in 2 weeks. We have booked room here for 2 nights, and it is great to see that it appears as advertised! Will give you an update when we return at the end of April!

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Hello, Glenn!! It was a great experience, thanks for sharing it with us!

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2010 at 6:08 PM

Great intro to Belize. So much to do here!

• Nov 17, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Where can I find this great deal? We are cruising there in early December and are looking for a bit less expensive option then what they sell on the ship. This sounds fabulous!!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Kudos to you Glenn - after reading these tips, I do BELIZE it! Amazing Mayan ruins - more expensive than average $20-40!! Grazie for great photos/detail

• ajpo68's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Good advice, I had to wipe the tears from laughing to finish reading.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 3:19 AM

Hi Glenn, great page with full of useful tips and photos. I liked it. Bora

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Belize