"Ya Betta Belize It!" Top 5 Page for this destination Belize by Bwana_Brown
Belize Travel Guide: 2,622 reviews and 5,618 photos
Although I had a Belizian friend decades ago while attending university, it was the pages of VT-members 'Windsorgirl' and 'JetLagCity' that got me thinking that maybe the place really does have possibilities! Having recently retired, I finally had enough free time on my hands that perhaps I could actually go somewhere and linger for a while. With another Canadian winter looming on the horizon, the matter was settled - my wife and I booked ourselves for a 3-week jaunt around the country and also decided that we should try backpacking while we were at it!
Belize more than met our expectations. The weather was great, the people fantastic and the scenes gorgeous! We did our usual thing of arranging our own accommodations before leaving, except for a 3-day stint when we had a rental vehicle lined-up and were footloose and fancy free. Our trip had quite a mixture of experiences, starting with sandy beaches and snokeling coral reefs off the north coast at Caye Caulker and Ambergris Cay. Our rental allowed us to visit a Black Howler Monkey sanctuary as well as the Belize Zoo, both located in the savannah forests of the mainland. It also enabled us to check out more of the coastal life in Belize, at the tiny village of Hopkins where we saw Manatees swimming just off the beach. After returning our rental vehicle, that part of our trip was followed by some amazing birdwatching at the Crooked Tree inland fresh water lagoon before we headed deeper inland. We really hit our peak along the border area with Guatemala, enjoying the Mayan ruins of both Xunantunich in Belize and the world famous Tikal National Park (slipped over the border for a couple of days for that one), as well as a tubing trip through the Belizian jungle as we dealt with the rapids of the Mopan River. Finally, swimming into the Actun Tunichil Muknal cave for a deep underground exploration of its 1100-1700 year old Mayan sacrificial remains was something completely different!
We enjoyed great accommodations and a variety of food as we moved around Belize and I still cannot get over how many locals and travellers we had the privilege to meet and talk with. Give Belize a try if you get the chance - you won't be disappointed! My 'General Tips' map shows our travels in Belize as well as where we found accommodations.
- Pros:Small, friendly, inexpensive & beautiful
- Cons:Belize City
- In a nutshell:An amazing variety of experiences packed into a small country!
This map gives an overview of the territory we covered during our 3-weeks of backpacking around Belize, with... more travel advice
In addition to exploring a Mayan cave, the other objective of our stay on the western border of Belize was to work in a... more travel advice
- See All A Harbourside Oasis!
- See All Fresh Produce
- See All Local Laundry
- See All Shuttle Van
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Belize Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ya Betta Belize It!"
- "Ambergris Caye"
- "Diving and Caving in Belize"
- "Trip to Belize 2002"
- "Scuba Diving and more"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Belize
- Hotels in Belize
- Transportation in Belize
- Nightlife in Belize
- Restaurants in Belize
- Shopping in Belize
- Warnings and Dangers in Belize
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Belize
- 227 Reviews
- 410 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to Belize?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Belize
- updated a Belize Travel Page "Ya Betta Belize It!"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Commented on one of roamer61's Belize travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Scenic Hummingbird Highway"
- Wrote a Review Belize Travel & Accommodations Map about Travel Information in Belize Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos