"Awesome Mendoza!" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Mendoza by Bwana_Brown
Provincia de Mendoza Travel Guide: 570 reviews and 1,421 photos
When we first looked at a vacation in Argentina, my plan was to rent a car and then drive to a few locations like we did in Portugal and England. However, after looking at the size of the country and also finding out that rental cars are not a good idea (expensive, no unlimited mileage and dangerous roads/driving habits) a change of plans was called for. As the Loney Planet guide book says, often a tour booked from outside the country is cheaper than just the airflights alone. Consequently, I got on the internet and, through Ripio Turismo, was able to book two separate internal package deals for US$500 per person per tour. This included the 1.5 hour jet flights from/to Buenos Aires, airport transfers, 4 nights accommodations with breakfast and two day-trip tours at each location. It ended up working out very well !
By the time we reached Mendoza, at the foot of the Andes mountains, we had been in Argentina for just over a week. We had done the big-city thing in Buenos Aires and both sides of the world-famous Iguazu Falls. However, I would have to say that this was the favourite part of our 2-week trip. The city of Mendoza itself is fantastic but the day-trip tour that we took into the Andes Mountains was really special.
The drive up the rugged river valleys leading to the mountain top border-crossing into Chile, the amazing yellow rocks at the Puente del Inca spa, the sight of the highest mountain outside of Asia, standing on top of the Andes, the fantastic weather and the great mini-bus passengers and guides all made this a special part of our trip!
The photo shows me bracing against the very strong back-winds at 12,500 ft (3,800 m) elevation on the continental divide between Argentina and Chile.
- Pros:Great weather, way too cheap & friendly people
- In a nutshell:Please go there
Just the ride up Route Nacional 7 into the Andes is a 'must see' activity in itself. As the road twists and turns beside... more travel advice
Our pre-paid arrangements in Mendoza were handled locally by Huentata Servicios Turisticos, a very efficient and... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Provincia de Mendoza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Mendoza!"
- "Mendoza - Tierra del Sol y del buen vino :-)"
- "SKIING AT LAS LENAS (Las Leñas)"
- "SCL to Mendoza by Bus - Great Nature Cinema"
- "Argentina TL 2004/2005 - Part 2 (Dec24 ff)"
- "My favourite places in Mendoza!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Mendoza
- Hotels in Provincia de Mendoza
- Transportation in Provincia de Mendoza
- Nightlife in Provincia de Mendoza
- Restaurants in Provincia de Mendoza
- Shopping in Provincia de Mendoza
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Mendoza
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Mendoza
- 75 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Provincia de Mendoza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Mendoza
Photos in Provincia de MendozaSee All Photos (79)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos