"Awesome Mendoza!" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincia de Mendoza by Bwana_Brown

Provincia de Mendoza Travel Guide: 568 reviews and 1,434 photos

When we first looked at a vacation in Argentina, my plan was to rent a car and then drive to a few locations like we did in Portugal and England. However, after looking at the size of the country and also finding out that rental cars are not a good idea (expensive, no unlimited mileage and dangerous roads/driving habits) a change of plans was called for. As the Loney Planet guide book says, often a tour booked from outside the country is cheaper than just the airflights alone. Consequently, I got on the internet and, through Ripio Turismo, was able to book two separate internal package deals for US$500 per person per tour. This included the 1.5 hour jet flights from/to Buenos Aires, airport transfers, 4 nights accommodations with breakfast and two day-trip tours at each location. It ended up working out very well !

By the time we reached Mendoza, at the foot of the Andes mountains, we had been in Argentina for just over a week. We had done the big-city thing in Buenos Aires and both sides of the world-famous Iguazu Falls. However, I would have to say that this was the favourite part of our 2-week trip. The city of Mendoza itself is fantastic but the day-trip tour that we took into the Andes Mountains was really special.

The drive up the rugged river valleys leading to the mountain top border-crossing into Chile, the amazing yellow rocks at the Puente del Inca spa, the sight of the highest mountain outside of Asia, standing on top of the Andes, the fantastic weather and the great mini-bus passengers and guides all made this a special part of our trip!

The photo shows me bracing against the very strong back-winds at 12,500 ft (3,800 m) elevation on the continental divide between Argentina and Chile.

• Pros:Great weather, way too cheap & friendly people
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:Please go there
  • Last visit to Provincia de Mendoza: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 20, 2005

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

Glenn, gorgeous page with outstanding photos of the Provincia de Mendoza. I must admit that I haven't been to South America, but Argentinia would be one of the countries I am most interested in.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 8:23 AM

I just realized that I have viewed this page before but I agree Argentina is a beautiful country.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 8:00 AM

Wonderful inspiration here for a future trip - and very helpful tips! The natural bridge and sulphur spa is on the main pg today - fascinating place!Thanks and hope youre having a good weekend!

• Maxx-Power's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 7:12 AM

A place reachable only by car with very few & rustic hotels. But the experience of that very hot vulcanic, and almost boiling water in your skin is somehting certainly unique. Dont´miss to bath naked during snowy winter & temperatures r below 0ºC.

• Dingledoodie's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2008 at 3:49 AM

This looks similar in effect to the petrified waterfalls of Hierves el Agua in Mexico. Everywhere, there's that golden yellow sulphurus colour (and many others too). An amazing place. I felt like I'd landed on Mars. Thanks for shairing the photo.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2008 at 8:38 AM

Glenn, amazing stuff from Cristor Redentor to Natural stone bride, spa, rock slides, ruins, and mountains. Some trip, indeed.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 6:09 PM

Only thre weeks now until we head off for SA. Reading your pages has been a great prep. Thanks for all the tips and tales. leyle

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2006 at 9:28 AM

"Doing my weekly `Surf and Rate` couple of hours and ended up here! Gr8 pics and info. I wish I could be in Mendoza now. Big SIBERIAN FREEZE COMING HERE .! ":*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*.隐形的 ღ (~_~)♫♫" TIM"

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2005 at 9:13 AM

You have been to some fantastic places Glenn,Mendoza looks great,i love the picture of the stone bridge and im glad you didn't drink any more water.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2005 at 7:11 PM

Maybe my next destination in SA You did a great job here Glenn - and the info is top ! Read VT member Trekki aswell - a good combination

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Provincia de Mendoza

Have you been to Provincia de Mendoza?

Latest Activity in Provincia de Mendoza