"This Province Has it All" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta by Bwana_Brown

Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,967 reviews and 10,531 photos

Although only the 6th largest of Canada's provinces, Alberta still has plenty of room to move around in it's 661,000 square kilometers. Comparatively speaking, this makes it about the same size as the state of Texas or equal to the combined area of France, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands.

A rental car is a necessity here if you want to do some independent exploring. In 2001 we visited the western side of the province, mainly in the Jasper National Park and Edmonton area. By 2004, two of our daughters had moved to Alberta from eastern Canada, so it was time for another visit! We split the difference in their locations and flew into Edmonton. From there, we headed east to Cold Lake on the Saskatchewan border and then the farmlands route down along that side (where this photo was taken) until we veered west toward Calgary and Banff National Park.

It was a great trip, with beautiful sunny weather and pleasant temperatures almost the whole time. We saw northern lakes, endless fields, strangely eroded 'hoodoos', the Rocky Mountains and the friendly city of Calgary! We were back again for our third visit in July, 2006 - covering some familiar territory as well as new explorations southward to Waterton Lakes National Park and on into Montana, USA.

Hopefully, my tips will give you some insight into what you can experience here if you too decide to pay Alberta a visit! Please see my 'General' tip for a provincial map showing our driving routes.

• Pros:A diversity of sights and things to do
  • Cons:It takes a bit of driving!
  • In a nutshell:The choice is yours!
  • Last visit to Province of Alberta: Jan 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 27, 2010

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Hi Glenn, what a wonderful page, combining great writing and fantastic photos! Canada really is one of biggest travel dreams, it just looks so beautiful.
    A good idea to include a map in your tips, like this I could imagine much better where you have been.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM

I had never heard of Hoodoos before, but they look fantastic. Too bad you didn't stop more often and take more photos of those weather-beaten farm buildings. (My one visit to Alberta was when I went through on the train many years ago.)

• Jan 27, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Took some notes my wife and two kids girl 9 boy 11 travelling from toronto ontario to western canada in august 2010 3 wk vacation.

• amandajayne81's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2010 at 8:03 PM

Great page with helpful tips. I am especially interesting in your 2001 trip where you drove from approx Red Deer through the Jasper National Park. What road is that?

• BillNJ's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM

Nice page on the Province of Alberta! Ever think of going to Lake Athabasca in the north? Just wondering because there is a lot of high-grade uranium up there.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2009 at 5:15 AM

A Tour de Force of Alberta, Glenn. Nice to see some of the lesser known gems like Cold Lake Provincial Park. So, that's where Big Rock Brewing got its name. They don't call this area God's Country for nothing. Great stuff and one fine road trip.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM

A lot of interesting new updates! I had also a second reading of your former tips.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2008 at 7:32 AM

Beautiful scenery and so much variety - looks a great place for a driving tour. Although I realise that I've been here very briefly, crossing over the border from BC to visit Lake Louise!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2008 at 5:57 AM

I really enjoyed seeing a bit more of Alberta through this excellent page, Glenn. Those hoodoos really are strange - we saw them only from the train. Great restaurant tips too, how about being a supermodel! :))

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 7:25 AM

The variety of scenic wonders in Alberta is amazing, and I think the prairies are as beautiful as the mountains in their own way. I'll have to go to the Canadian west someday.

Bwana_Brown Visits Here Frequently!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta

Have you been to Province of Alberta?

Latest Activity in Province of Alberta