"This Province Has it All" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Alberta by Bwana_Brown
Province of Alberta Travel Guide: 4,997 reviews and 10,621 photos
Although only the 6th largest of Canada's provinces, Alberta still has plenty of room to move around in it's 661,000 square kilometers. Comparatively speaking, this makes it about the same size as the state of Texas or equal to the combined area of France, Switzerland, Belgium and the Netherlands.
A rental car is a necessity here if you want to do some independent exploring. In 2001 we visited the western side of the province, mainly in the Jasper National Park and Edmonton area. By 2004, two of our daughters had moved to Alberta from eastern Canada, so it was time for another visit! We split the difference in their locations and flew into Edmonton. From there, we headed east to Cold Lake on the Saskatchewan border and then the farmlands route down along that side (where this photo was taken) until we veered west toward Calgary and Banff National Park.
It was a great trip, with beautiful sunny weather and pleasant temperatures almost the whole time. We saw northern lakes, endless fields, strangely eroded 'hoodoos', the Rocky Mountains and the friendly city of Calgary! We were back again for our third visit in July, 2006 - covering some familiar territory as well as new explorations southward to Waterton Lakes National Park and on into Montana, USA.
Hopefully, my tips will give you some insight into what you can experience here if you too decide to pay Alberta a visit! Please see my 'General' tip for a provincial map showing our driving routes.
- Pros:A diversity of sights and things to do
- Cons:It takes a bit of driving!
- In a nutshell:The choice is yours!
While driving south along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains toward Waterton Lakes National Park, my wife and I... more travel advice
On our July, 2006 trip, as part of our desire to see different scenery when we have to make more than one trip between... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Province of Alberta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alberta - between plains and mountains"
- "The Wonder of Alberta"
- "This Province Has it All"
- "ALBERTA - CANADIAN MAGNIFICENCE"
- "AWESOME ALBERTA"
- "Alberta: God's Country"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Alberta
- Hotels in Province of Alberta
- Transportation in Province of Alberta
- Nightlife in Province of Alberta
- Restaurants in Province of Alberta
- Shopping in Province of Alberta
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Alberta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Alberta
- 154 Reviews
- 303 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Province of Alberta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Alberta
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- updated a Province of Alberta Travel Page "This Province Has it All"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Red Deer River Valley"
- Commented on one of kokoryko's Province of Alberta travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Frank Slide in Province of Alberta Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos