"New Brunswick - my home province" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick by Bwana_Brown
Province of New Brunswick Travel Guide: 941 reviews and 1,760 photos
New Brunswick is one of the three Maritime Provinces located on the Atlantic coast of Canada. The "Picture Province" was created in 1784 when it split away from the originally much-larger Nova Scotia, following the arrival of British Loyalists fleeing the American colonies as a result of the loss of the Revolutionary War (1776-1783). At 28,000 sq km in size, and with a population of only 750,000, it is small by Canadian standards, being 8th largest of the ten provinces and is about the same size as South Carolina or a bit bigger than the Republic of Ireland. Despite the influx of new English settlers, NB also has a large French-speaking population, stemming from the arrival of Samuel Champlain on the southern shores in 1604. As a result, NB is the only officially bilingual province in Canada and the mixture of the two cultures makes for some very interesting places to experience!
Surrounded on three sides by water, fishing and sailing has played a large part in its history and there is no shortage of water-based activities or scenic spots to enjoy. The interior is heavily forested, so much so that it still has 90% tree coverage, the most of any State or Province in North America. Most of the cultivated and settled areas are in the many river valleys that cut through the hills of the rolling countryside, especially in the southern part of New Brunswick. Settlement in the remainder of the province is mainly along the east, north and west coasts.
In the course of living here, I have covered it all partly through my job of dealing with the power grid and also as we went camping with our children in the 1970s and 80s. However, these tips will concentrate on more recent travels - some with my wife and others with my biking buddy Russell. The 'Things to Do' tips will start along the south coast with its high tides before moving to the other two coastlines. Then we will move inland to the sample the southern countryside before moving north to Kouchibouguac National Park, the tallest peak at Mount Carleton and small Miscou Island at the northeast tip. The map in my first 'General' tip gives an overview of the province and these destinations.
- Pros:A nice mix of English and French, lots of nature, friendly and safe
- Cons:A cold and snowy spot in winter, mosquitos in early summer
- In a nutshell:A great vacation destination if you time it right (May to October)!
This map of the Province shows that it is bordered on the west by the state of Maine, USA, on the north by the Province... more travel advice
Every Saturday morning from early until noon , the Boyce Farmer's Market takes place in the core of downtown... more travel advice
- See All All sorts of roads for biking
- See All A seaside picnic
- Sea fishing
- Seaside sunsets
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Province of New Brunswick Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "New Brunswick - my home province"
- "Fundy National Park, Alma and the Hopewell Rocks.."
- "The Bridges of New Brunswick"
- "It pays to get up early in New Brunswick"
- "Discovering the Maritimes"
- "New Brunswick"
- "The "Maine" gateway to Maritimes Canada"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of New Brunswick
- Hotels in Province of New Brunswick
- Transportation in Province of New Brunswick
- Nightlife in Province of New Brunswick
- Restaurants in Province of New Brunswick
- Shopping in Province of New Brunswick
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of New Brunswick
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of New Brunswick
- 304 Reviews
- 550 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 12 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Province of New Brunswick?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of New Brunswick
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Province of New Brunswick travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Aboriginal influences"
- updated a Province of New Brunswick Travel Page "New Brunswick - my home province"
- Wrote a Review Map of New Brunswick in Province of New Brunswick Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (65)
Top Province of New Brunswick hotels
- Moncton Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 87 Photos
- Fredericton Hotels
- 224 Reviews - 328 Photos
- Miramichi Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 47 Photos
- Grand-Sault Hotels
- 3 Hotels
- Saint John Hotels
- 125 Reviews - 261 Photos
- Mactaquac Provincial Park Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Renous Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Chatham Hotels
- 5 Hotels
- Saint Andrews Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Sackville Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 4 Photos
- Caraquet Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Bathurst Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Woodstock Hotels
- 6 Hotels
- Tracadie Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Sussex Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 48 Photos