"Driving west through the wilds" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario by Bwana_Brown

Province of Ontario Travel Guide: 11,642 reviews and 27,818 photos

In early July I had a wedding to attend in Fredericton, New Brunswick on the Atlantic coast of Canada. When Sue and I left there almost two years ago for me to take up a new job in Regina, Saskatchewan in western Canada we had to leave in quite a rush, driving across the USA on Interstate highways in our 'old' car to make the deadline. As a result, we ended up leaving our newer Honda Accord behind and not being used for the past 13 months. We decided we would make a vacation out of this wedding trip, flying east for a week of catching up with old friends and then taking another week to drive back to Regina through Canada this time.

We had previously done lots of exploring in New Brunswick and Quebec but Ontario had not yet been given a fair shake (except for visits to Ottawa and Toronto). We decided to concentrate on Ontario on our way home, sticking to the back-roads where it suited us and going places we had not been before. Our route ended up covering 4500-km (2900-mi) in total, with five full days in Ontario alone! It turned out to be better than I had expected as we enjoyed our first experience with Algonquin provincial park, then hiking the cliffs of rugged Bruce Peninsula, a ferry ride to the world's largest island in a freshwater lake, waterfalls and more parks along the rugged north shore of Lake Superior and finally the most spectacular of them all - Ouimet Canyon.

Hop in for a drive with us across Ontario as we take in the sights! My 'General' tip includes maps of both our cross-Canada route and some of our stops in Ontario itself.

• Pros:Excellent roads, not busy even in the peak of summer and lots to see!
  • Cons:You will need good weather and time, a week is not enough
  • In a nutshell:A wonderful trip
  • Last visit to Province of Ontario: Jul 2009
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2009

• csordila's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Thank you for your visit on my Santorini! Best L.

• rachesuiphilippines's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2011 at 7:31 AM

What a beautiful scenery and what an exhilarating experience maybe to be standing on the tip of that Quimet Canyon. pearl

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Glenn, outstanding photos of the nature in Ontario. I have only been to the big cities here, such as Toronto and Ottawa. Your page shows a very different Ontario compared to them. Especially the Kakabeka Falls look fabulous.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 2:12 AM

So many lakes on the lake island! Going with car on backroads is a great way to travel too, and it looks like you had a beautiful trip!

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 3:05 AM

Stunning photos & such great detail - the lakes, the falls, the gorge, the canyon! Grazie, Glen for a grand tour. Carol <(•¿•)>

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Kakabeka Falls looks amazing. Mink falls is good to. Chippewa Falls looks a little wimpy. Either way i'm sure all of them are fantastic. Good work on this page and showing us more of the wonderful country of Canada!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Great that you finally got the chance to fit this trip in! Dont know when I will fit these Canadian and USA dream trips for me! Thanks also for all the effort gone into then making all these tips!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM

A fabulous journey across this huge and beautiful province! Aside from Toronto, the only part of Ontario I have been to is Quetico Provincial Park (south of your route on your sixth day), where we used to go canoeing when I was in high school.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Another first class page! So much information & your usual terrific photos--what a wonderful virtual journey of a part of Canada that most of wish we could do ourselves! The natural beauty of Canada and the quaint towns are a winning combination!

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Such a big country has so much to see and you show it to us. However, last time when there in a canoe I started to miss Scandinavia ;-)

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Province of Ontario

Have you been to Province of Ontario?