"Province of Quebec - Historic and Amazing!" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Quebec by Bwana_Brown

Province of Quebec Travel Guide: 6,678 reviews and 15,080 photos

The Province of Quebec is one of my favourite places to visit in all of North America. It is a huge province with all kinds of wild places to visit if you want to get away from it all, yet it also has the amazing European feel to its main cities of Montreal and Quebec City! Living next door in New Brunswick for most of my life has provided me with many personal and business opportunities to sample the delights that this Province has to offer.

This page covers five of the areas that most impressed me, starting from the east and working my way west and north (please see my 'General' tip for a map of their locations). First up is the remote island archipelego of the Iles de la Madeleine, stuck out in the Gulf of St. Lawrence which freezes over for 3-4 months of the year. We went in late June and had a fantastic time observing whales, exploring the cliffs and just enjoying the miles of sandy beaches and dunes. VT does not have an all encompassing page for these islands, so more details are found on my individual pages such as 'Ile du Havre Aubert', 'Ile du Cap aux Meules' and so on.

Another rugged spot lies at the tip of the Gaspe Peninsula, where mainland Quebec juts out into the Gulf. The impressive Perce Rock with its trademark 50-foot high 'hole' marks the location where the first documented trading between Europeans and the North American natives took place, in 1534. This remote Peninsula is noted for both its Chic Choc Mountains and beautiful coastal views from its cliffs.

Leaving the wilds behind for a while, a few hours drive west of Gaspe will get you to the Provincial capital, Quebec City. This small city is a UNESCO World Heritage site thanks to its encircling walls and a host of historical attractions dating from its founding in 1608. Nearby is the impressive but often missed Montmorency Falls and also the quaint Ile d'Orleans located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Another couple of hours driving to the west sits Montreal. Where Quebec City is relatively small and a bastion of French-Canadian nationalism, Montreal is a real metropolis with an international air to it. However, it too has plenty of history to draw from as well as excellent shopping and nightlife activities.

I can only take so much civilization, so my tour ends 600 miles to the north, on the shores of Hudson Bay where I was fortunate enough to have been a guest on a fishing trip that required two old Beaver float planes to fly us even further into the wilderness! The full details of that trip are in my 'Radisson' page.

• Pros:Rugged scenery, lots of history and French ambiance
  • Cons:Very cold in winter!
  • In a nutshell:A unique Canadian Province - a must see!
  • Last visit to Province of Quebec: Oct 2006
  • Intro Updated Oct 17, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Fine tips on this large and very impressive province! Poor Jacques Cartier must have been chagrined to discover than some Basque fishermen had been there before him. I wonder what the mosquitoes feed on when there are no humans in the forest.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM

Nothing beats bringing home some fresh fish Glenn! My NZ trout ended up pan fried in butter for brekky ;)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 12:43 AM

Great page! The Iles de la Madeleine look like a very interesting place to visit! The Mikmaq indians gave their name to the word «micmac» meaning scheming ! It is amazing how Montmorency falls are unknown !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Glenn, gorgeous page about Quebec. Unfortunately, I only made it to Quebec City and the famous Montmorency Falls. I should better go and explore more of this lovely region ....

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2007 at 8:27 AM

I hadn't realised there was so much variety to Quebec! I like the sound of the Madeleines & Montmorency Falls, and I know I'd enjoy a stay in the Auberge sur Mer :)

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Excellent page on this part of Canada. Vieux Quebec looks really quaint and the scenery of the area is truly impressive. Loved the islands and the monument to the fishermen. Thanks for this interesting virtual tour!

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Very handsome Québec page. Great photos and superlative text. Thank you for your kind comment on my Antigua Guatemala page (one spot where all photos turn out well).

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 4:05 AM

I really enjoyed reading your page. I am a bit surprised that Iles de la Madeleine belong to Quebec instead of closer Prince Edward Island or Nova Scotia. Montmorency Falls look impressive!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Some very interesting information and tips, the hotel tips being particularly useful. I really need to do more exploring of this great country especially since my mother was Canadian! Excellent page!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Another superb page Glenn, thanks. Love your photos and insight. A beautiful area indeed.

Bwana_Brown Visits Here Frequently!

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Province of Quebec

Have you been to Province of Quebec?