"Province of Quebec - Historic and Amazing!" Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Quebec by Bwana_Brown
Province of Quebec Travel Guide: 6,734 reviews and 15,234 photos
The Province of Quebec is one of my favourite places to visit in all of North America. It is a huge province with all kinds of wild places to visit if you want to get away from it all, yet it also has the amazing European feel to its main cities of Montreal and Quebec City! Living next door in New Brunswick for most of my life has provided me with many personal and business opportunities to sample the delights that this Province has to offer.
This page covers five of the areas that most impressed me, starting from the east and working my way west and north (please see my 'General' tip for a map of their locations). First up is the remote island archipelego of the Iles de la Madeleine, stuck out in the Gulf of St. Lawrence which freezes over for 3-4 months of the year. We went in late June and had a fantastic time observing whales, exploring the cliffs and just enjoying the miles of sandy beaches and dunes. VT does not have an all encompassing page for these islands, so more details are found on my individual pages such as 'Ile du Havre Aubert', 'Ile du Cap aux Meules' and so on.
Another rugged spot lies at the tip of the Gaspe Peninsula, where mainland Quebec juts out into the Gulf. The impressive Perce Rock with its trademark 50-foot high 'hole' marks the location where the first documented trading between Europeans and the North American natives took place, in 1534. This remote Peninsula is noted for both its Chic Choc Mountains and beautiful coastal views from its cliffs.
Leaving the wilds behind for a while, a few hours drive west of Gaspe will get you to the Provincial capital, Quebec City. This small city is a UNESCO World Heritage site thanks to its encircling walls and a host of historical attractions dating from its founding in 1608. Nearby is the impressive but often missed Montmorency Falls and also the quaint Ile d'Orleans located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River. Another couple of hours driving to the west sits Montreal. Where Quebec City is relatively small and a bastion of French-Canadian nationalism, Montreal is a real metropolis with an international air to it. However, it too has plenty of history to draw from as well as excellent shopping and nightlife activities.
I can only take so much civilization, so my tour ends 600 miles to the north, on the shores of Hudson Bay where I was fortunate enough to have been a guest on a fishing trip that required two old Beaver float planes to fly us even further into the wilderness! The full details of that trip are in my 'Radisson' page.
- Pros:Rugged scenery, lots of history and French ambiance
- Cons:Very cold in winter!
- In a nutshell:A unique Canadian Province - a must see!
Our most recent trip to the Province of Quebec took place in October, 2006 when we had to drive from New Brunswick to... more travel advice
In the summer of 1990, Hydro-Quebec, the provincial power company in Quebec, hosted a number of technical people from... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Province of Quebec Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Province of Quebec - Historic and Amazing!"
- "Quebec: A Unique North American Place"
- "Biking my way through Quebec one road at a time!"
- "Quebec- La belle province"
- "Quebec, Canada"
- "Pierre_Rouss Province of Québec page"
- "Quebec.....Europe without the jetlag!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Province of Quebec
- Hotels in Province of Quebec
- Transportation in Province of Quebec
- Nightlife in Province of Quebec
- Restaurants in Province of Quebec
- Shopping in Province of Quebec
- Warnings and Dangers in Province of Quebec
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Province of Quebec
- 188 Reviews
- 341 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Province of Quebec?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Province of Quebec
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of GimmeADream's Province of Quebec travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tough old bush plane"
- updated a Province of Quebec Travel Page "Province of Quebec - Historic and Amazing!"
- Wrote a Review A nice port in a Storm! in Province of Quebec Hotels
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos