"Land of Varied Scenery" New Mexico by Bwana_Brown
New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,346 reviews and 10,766 photos
In mid-July I had a business trip to Albuquerque for 3 days of meetings, so I went a couple of days early to take advantage of much cheaper airfares. This gave me some free time, so I rented a car and spent two days driving in a 420-mile Figure-8 pattern north of the city. I started out on the flat and dusty plains at Albuquerque, swung west a bit an ascended up the Jemez River valley to Los Alamos before spending the first night at Espanola (the centre of my Figure-8). From there I went into alpine valley country to the east as I drove through the mountains to Mora, before swinging north to Taos on a backroad via Angel Fire. Then it was back down the Rio Grande River canyon to Espanola and Santa Fe for the night. The next morning I returned to Albuquerque by the Rte. 14 Turquoise Trail through Madrid. It was very interesting driving - the scenery changed with the elevation and it seemed that there was a very different and striking rock formation or scene around almost every turn! Temperatures were about 36 C in Albuquerque but dropped to around 30 C in the mountains around Taos.
- Pros:Amazing Scenery in the North
- Cons:Hot and Dry
- In a nutshell:Lots to see and do - but it can be hot!
As I headed northeast in the morning, leaving Espanola for the Sangre de Cristo mountains via Rte. 76, the road began to... more travel advice
About midway between Taos and Santa Fe, the highway meets the Rio Grande River gorge at a little place called Pilar.... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
New Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Enchantment"
- "New Mexico, Earth, But Out of this World"
- "One of our 50 is missing!"
- "UNIQUE CULTURE AMONGST SOUTHWEST GRANDUER"
- "Our Land of Enchantment"
- "Land of Varied Scenery"
- "The Enchanted State That Gets Into Your Soul"
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Mexico
- Hotels in New Mexico
- Transportation in New Mexico
- Nightlife in New Mexico
- Restaurants in New Mexico
- Shopping in New Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in New Mexico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Mexico
- 54 Reviews
- 94 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (154)
Have you been to New Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos