"Land of Varied Scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico by Bwana_Brown

New Mexico Travel Guide: 4,211 reviews and 10,335 photos

In mid-July I had a business trip to Albuquerque for 3 days of meetings, so I went a couple of days early to take advantage of much cheaper airfares. This gave me some free time, so I rented a car and spent two days driving in a 420-mile Figure-8 pattern north of the city. I started out on the flat and dusty plains at Albuquerque, swung west a bit an ascended up the Jemez River valley to Los Alamos before spending the first night at Espanola (the centre of my Figure-8). From there I went into alpine valley country to the east as I drove through the mountains to Mora, before swinging north to Taos on a backroad via Angel Fire. Then it was back down the Rio Grande River canyon to Espanola and Santa Fe for the night. The next morning I returned to Albuquerque by the Rte. 14 Turquoise Trail through Madrid. It was very interesting driving - the scenery changed with the elevation and it seemed that there was a very different and striking rock formation or scene around almost every turn! Temperatures were about 36 C in Albuquerque but dropped to around 30 C in the mountains around Taos.

• Pros:Amazing Scenery in the North
  • Cons:Hot and Dry
  • In a nutshell:Lots to see and do - but it can be hot!
  • Last visit to New Mexico: Jul 2003
  • Intro Updated Jul 25, 2003

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2011 at 2:00 AM

Can't wait to see some of these places for myself! Love the red sandstone country especially. And thanks for the warning about the speed traps :-)

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 10, 2010 at 12:14 AM

Very nice page. Looks like you did a lot of driving in a short period of time.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 3:14 AM

Eggs with no toast is not good. Sorry to hear you missed the brewpubs and that Taos was so packed but great shots of the open road. Soda Falls looks great, we missed that.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2008 at 4:15 AM

Hi, Interesting pages - I'm sure I'd like the desert here, if not the snow capped mountains!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jan 28, 2008 at 8:26 AM

Enchanting views of the Land of Enchantment. You saw some of the best parts of this beautiful state.

• traveldave's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2008 at 3:28 PM

New Mexico is one of my favorite states. I love the endless desert vistas. I definitely have to get back there one of these days.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Glenn, gorgeous page with interesting tips. I have never heard of Fat Tire beer. :-)

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Nice that you had a good reason to be in New Mexico and the time to do some exploring. Interesting page.

• mad4travel's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2005 at 10:31 AM

Nice New Mexico pages. Haven't been there for a while, brought back some good memories :-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2005 at 12:46 PM

I have not seen much of New Mexico. Thank you, Glenn to add a complement to my knowledge of that state !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in New Mexico

Have you been to New Mexico?

Latest Activity in New Mexico