"New Hampshire" New Hampshire by Bwana_Brown

New Hampshire Travel Guide: 1,525 reviews and 4,455 photos

Living only 6 hours away by road, I have been to New Hampshire a number of times on various trips - usually just passing through its southern end. However, the few times that I have had the chance to stop and linger a bit in its upper reaches, I have really enjoyed the "outdoors and mountains" atmosphere. This photo was taken on a long ago trip in 1977 when we took our old van on an excursion into northern Maine and New Hampshire. While meandering through the White Mountains, near Crawford Notch, we came across the incredible sight of a totally abandoned old resort hotel. The photo shows the Crawford House (in August, 1977) with all its windows smashed (the little yellow speck to the right of the central tree is my brother-in-law from England standing on the verandah roof). This establishment was built in 1859 to cater to the tourism needs of wealthy patrons from the northeastern states and it closed its doors in 1976. We wandered through the building and found old ledgers and files scattered about the offices and rooms. The building, made completely of wood, burned to the ground only a few months after this photo was taken.

• Pros:Great for the Outdoors
  • Cons:Crowded in Summer Peak Season
  • Last visit to New Hampshire: Sep 2002
  • Intro Written Jan 11, 2003

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in New Hampshire

Have you been to New Hampshire?

Latest Activity in New Hampshire