"Eastern Kansas - Interesting!" Top 5 Page for this destination Kansas by Bwana_Brown

Kansas Travel Guide: 2,275 reviews and 5,238 photos

Following a 2-day meeting in Kansas City, Missouri, I had a weekend to kill before heading back east for a second meeting in upstate New York. Well, I thought that I would probably never be this close to Kansas again for some time, so why not do some exploring along its eastern edge?

The weather was sunny and almost warm (14 C) as I set out from Kansas City at noon on a Friday, heading slightly west and south for an eventual 200 miles before I almost ran into the Oklahoma border! I really enjoyed Kansas, tooling along it's back highways and taking in the sights. Yes, there are lots of great sights in Kansas if you give it a chance!

I Ran Into 'Big Brutus'

I had a short but very enjoyable tour of a museum dedicated to a retired coal mine in the southeast part of the state. The feature attraction is their old electric shovel, shown here. The operator's cabin is about half-way up the left side and the red railings allow you to tour the various parts of the shovel without falling off. A couple of my Must See tips give a bit more information on the story of this big old beast!

• Pros:Relaxing with not much traffic on the back roads
  • Cons:The scenery could be repetitive if you stayed long enough!
  • In a nutshell:Worth taking a look, a slower-paced life
  • Last visit to Kansas: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated May 25, 2008

• Rich62's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Next it looks like you need to plan a trip thru Iowa - Nebraska - Utah - Idaho and Oregon! Have fun! I'll buy coffee if you stop in Kearney, Nebraska!

• RoscoeGregg's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Squrrils eat the crap out of the "hedge apples". Cattle sometimes try to eat them. They can become lodged in their throat. It can be dangerous. Hope my mr. know it all has helped to enlighten

• Sep 25, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Great food all the time - Favorite place for locals and college students. Love the atmosphere. The old building adds to the aviance. The picitures of before and after renovations are amazing.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM

We just got back form traversing the countryside to Dodge City. Well you got to see the big brute. Good pics and perspective on Kansas-flat and greeen now.

• Apr 20, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I live near the town of Oswatomie, and work on the grounds of the state hospital there. The people you saw jumping and running arround were most likely the inmates from the minimum security prison housed on the grounds which was just recently *** down.

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Great page. Thank you for pointing me to your asylum-tourism spot! As for me, I worked Friday (a lot, as few people were around and we had three nursing admissions), but I have off Monday. Happy Easter / Passover to you and your family.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2007 at 7:42 AM

Gas at $1.78 per gallon???? ah, those were the days! Your asylum "visit" had me thinking about the scene in "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson and the ax, I must have an active imagination ;-)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2007 at 3:32 PM

So that is what a hedge-apple is. And those poignant headstones with numbers on them - 1 -346.

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 5:01 AM

Kansas actually has much more history then one would think. Including the westward trails and final confrontation with the Dalton Gang in Coffeeville

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2007 at 6:30 AM

an interesting page, Glen, and Big Brutus, the landscape-killer, looks really quite impressive !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Kansas