"Quaint Bradford-on-Avon" Bradford on Avon by Bwana_Brown

Bradford on Avon Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 70 photos

The end of our first day on the road from the London area toward Cornwall found us rolling into the town of Bradford-on-Avon, a few miles southeast of Bath, just as late afternoon winter darkness was starting to fall. As soon as we reached the outskirts of town, we began to look for a B&B for the night but had real difficulty in finding one in the darkness and so close (Dec. 18) to Christmas. However, in the end, we did manage to find a place to lay our heads down.

From the little bit of driving we did before it became completely dark, and with a short morning walk thrown in, we found Bradford-on-Avon to be a very beautiful and quaint old English town, nestled in a steep valley with the River Avon flowing through. This is a pretty area of the country with a lot of interesting attractions nearby, definitely worth futher exploration in our view. However, on this trip, our time was limited. So, after our morning walk, we were off again - into 'Somerset' and onward to the Cheddar gorge and Exmoor National Park as we took our north coast drive to Cornwall. By the way, one thing I learned from our February, 2004 trip to this part of England is that there are three River Avons in the country. This one is not the Avon of Shakespeare fame, flowing through Stratford-upon-Avon!

• In a nutshell:Amazing old architecture and narrow steets nestled in a steep valley
  • Last visit to Bradford on Avon: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 13, 2006

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2010 at 11:35 PM

What a nice town and a really interesting old bridge! Thankgoodness you found somewhere to stay, I bet you were getting worried.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Bradford has the classic old wold charm. It is absolutely lovely! Nice page, I enjoyed it!

• Peteboa's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 5:25 AM

you are right, Saadi was a wonderful little curry joint. Im sorry to report it has since been replaced by an inferior indian takeaway.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 8:52 AM

I like the old building with the Bridge Tea Rooms. It looks lovely!

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2007 at 4:34 PM

Strange, I've never seen (or perhaps not noticed) a bridge chapel in England before. You get them all over Germany. Great writing as usual, and great pictures of my friend's home town. A place she's always told me I should visit :).

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 5:36 AM

Brilliant photos here. You have obviously been to a few off the beaten path places in lovely England. Keep up the good work.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM

I enjoyed reading about your night in Bradford on Avon. Nice description of the hotel, the tea room, and the yummy Indian food.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Great little spot... are you related to the Bwana running in the 133rd Kentucky Derby?

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 3:23 AM

Such a veritable font of information. 5 star stuff.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 6:10 PM

Great shot of The Bridge Tea Rooms! Very charming little place. I'd stop there for sure as well.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Bradford on Avon

Have you been to Bradford on Avon?

Latest Activity in Bradford on Avon