"Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!" Gibraltar by Bwana_Brown
Gibraltar Travel Guide: 1,122 reviews and 2,251 photos
Gibraltar has long held a special place in my heart, I think as a result of my love of history and watching TV documentaries on world history when I was just a youngster. The CBS program I watched was called 'The 20th Century', hosted by Walter Cronkite and sponsered by Prudential Insurance, who always showed their emblem of the Rock of Gibraltar to signify how solid their company was.
Actually, only a week earlier while driving from Cadiz to Estepona, we had come over a rise in the mountains and I spotted an amazingly rugged peak bathed in sunshine that simply stood out from anything else on the Mediterranean shore. Suddenly I realized why it was so amazing - I was actually looking at the Rock of Gibraltar! We did not have time to stop at that stage of our trip, but this time we knew this would be our last chance to see Gibraltar up close, even if conditions were not ideal.
This monument will greet you as you enter Gibraltar 'proper' after crossing from Spain. According to one of Gibraltar's tourism web-sites: "This Welcome Monument in the shape of the Rock depicts Gibraltar's important location throughout history. It shows the first skull of Neanderthal Man, which was found in Gibraltar...as well as one of the Pillars of Hercules and other images which represent the many civilizations that form part of Gibraltar's rich and varied history". Luckily for us, 'The Rock' packs its ~30,000 citizens into an area a little less that 3 square miles (or 7 square kilometers) in size, but it sharply rises from sea level to a height of 1400 feet (430 m). We did not really manage to do a lot during our short visit to Gibraltar but it was fun nonetheless.
- Pros:One of the world's most unique places
- Cons:A trifle expensive and I imagine very crowded in high season
- In a nutshell:I was happy to just have had my chance!
As our bus returned to Main Street in downtown Gibraltar, Sue and I got off very close to the Governor's House so we... more travel advice
This view looking directly north toward Spain gives some idea of the shape of The Rock on its eastern side. The smaller... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Gibraltar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gibraltar - The Rock"
- "A brief history..."
- "Gibraltar - A British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - Home of the Rock"
- "Gibraltar - Still a British Colony"
- "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- "Britannia on the Iberian Peninsula"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gibraltar
- Hotels in Gibraltar
- Transportation in Gibraltar
- Nightlife in Gibraltar
- Restaurants in Gibraltar
- Shopping in Gibraltar
- Warnings and Dangers in Gibraltar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gibraltar
- 14 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Gibraltar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gibraltar
- Commented on one of HORSCHECK's Gibraltar travel pages
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: St. Martins, New Brunswick,..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our only Gibraltar 'meal'"
- updated a Gibraltar Travel Page "Gibraltar - not the best weather but still great!"
- Wrote a Review The old Convent Guard House about Governor House in Gibraltar Things to Do
Photos in GibraltarSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (64)
Latest Gibraltar hotel reviews
- Caleta Hotel
- 275 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- O'Callaghan Eliott Hotel
- 466 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 16, 2013
- Emile Youth Hostel
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 6, 2013
- Bristol Hotel
- 243 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Queen's Hotel
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Rock Hotel Gibraltar
- 735 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Cannon Hotel
- 88 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Continental Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Governor's Inn
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 15, 2012
- Ocean Heights Apartments
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 30, 2013