"Horley - On Gatwick Airport's Doorstep" Horley by Bwana_Brown

Horley Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 21 photos

My first experience with Horley goes back to the summer of 1979, a time when my wife's parents were living there and also a time when our family made a 'farewell' visit after packing up in Canada and starting on our way to a new life in Papua New Guinea. We returned only once, in 1981, before the parents decided to make a move themselves - to Cornwall, England. This latest, December, 2005 visit to England was to allow my wife to spend a Christmas with her parents for the first time in 31 years, and what a great visit it turned out to be!

After landing at Heathrow Airport outside London, we had the afternoon to fill in before proceding to her brother's house in Farnham, also located on the outskirts of London. With our rental car, we decided to make a 'flying' visit to our old stomping ground to see what it now looked like. Our specific target was to enjoy a meal in the historic 'Ye Olde Six Bells' pub, located in Horley. Please see my 'General' tips for a map of Horley's location and also the route that we took around England on this 2005 expedition!

• Last visit to Horley: Dec 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2006

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 2:55 AM

Nice look at Horley Glad to hear the locals helped you out in the pub & with the phone card

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2009 at 10:32 AM

what a lovely pub - and those old pics are so moving - i loved it was 1979 - i am writing something set in 1979 - the year Video Killed the radio Star came out

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 1:05 PM

I love those traditional English country pubs, but I would rather choose something English to eat there and have pear crumble for pudding.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2006 at 11:11 AM

Great you could revisit Horley after so many years. Well written tips!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 11:53 PM

Very helpful infos! Thanks for Hertz Rental Car tip. I prefer to be fully insuranced although it doubled the total price... in the USA.

• Jan 8, 2006 at 10:35 AM

Great info on the car hire for your trip Glenn - I've never been to Horley but the Six Bells looks like it's worth a visit! :)

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 8:02 AM

Wow, that's an old pub. I liked the map with your two trips highlighted. Looks like you've covered all of southern England!

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 1:29 AM

Speckled hen, lovely drop of beer Glenn, im always working around the area, i'll look out for this pub next time

• ncfg's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2006 at 1:58 PM

Nice page! It seems you had a great time there.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2006 at 2:42 AM

I love that great architecture of the old houses in Great Britain !

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Horley