"Interesting Belém" Top 5 Page for this destination Belém by Bwana_Brown

Belém Travel Guide: 262 reviews and 1,020 photos

We managed to spend most of a beautiful sunny afternoon in Belém on our third day in Portugal. However, I think that our earlier walking up and down the hills of both Lisbon and Sintra had tired us out more than we had realized!

Belém is quite an interesting part of Lisbon, situated in the westen part of the city and separated from the main tourist areas of the city. Still, it was great to wander in its gorgeous parks and stroll along the Tejo (Tagus) River as we visited both the Monument to the Discoveries and the Tower of Belém!

We had an added bonus when we arrived on a Sunday while the Presidential Guard at the Palace was putting on a changing of the guard display! Throw in a tour of the best Royal Coach Museum in Europe and a stroll around a Botanical Garden, and it was not a bad way to put in an afternoon!

• Pros:Some amazing historical relics in a very small area
  • Cons:The major divided highway along the riverfront cuts it in half
  • In a nutshell:You really should see Belém if you ever visit Lisbon!
  • Last visit to Belém: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Wonderful page! The more I read about Belem, the more I want to go there!

• slothtraveller's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Thanks for the tips on Belem, Glenn. The Monument to the Discoveries is something I am very much looking forward to visiting too. Looks like I will be spending a full day in Belem when I visit next month!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2010 at 8:53 AM

What a beautiful day you had when yo visited Belem! It is on my list of places to see when I go to Lisbon later this year.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Interesting Belém page with excellent photographs. Tower of Belém and Monument to the Discoveries certainly look amazing. Coach Museum, park and Botanical Garden sound wonderful to visit and explore. ~ho & pang

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Oh marvellous, I might stay in Belém forever! I love the discovery monument and will also visit the monasterio :-)

• Mikebb's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Nice page Glenn, we had a morning in Belem Sept'08, also visited the Monestary. Nice memories, have not started my page yet. Have an enjoyable Easter. Off to Singapore in 4 weeks.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 9:15 PM

I loved this suburb of Lisbon, seems to me we stayed close enough to walk or maybe we took the subway. I'm sure I have pictures from the Coach Museum, oops ;-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2007 at 4:50 PM

A part of Lisbon not to be missed it seems. Love the story of the intrepid aviators. leyle

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Lovely little page with brilliant photos of Belem. Brings back memories of my daytrip there from Lisbon. I didn't know that the Tower of Belem can be climbed.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Your pictures are stunning - the white Monument to the Discoveries against the blue blue sky looks simply beautiful. And your narrative makes reading such a pleasure - for a moment I felt as if I was there with you that Sunday.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Belém