"Portugal's amazingly close island!" Ilha da Berlenga by Bwana_Brown
Ilha da Berlenga Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 78 photos
The Berlenga Islands were one of the highlights of our entire 2-week trip around Portugal (see my General tip for a map of their location and an overview of our travels around this magnificent country!). We arrived in the coastal town of Peniche in mid-afternoon of our second last day in the country, with a specific goal to try to get out to this small archipelago only 10 km (7 miles) off the coast. This rugged granite outcropping of three small island groups is less than a two-hour drive from Lisbon, and the high-rise buildings on the outskirts of town attest to the fact that this must be a busy spot in peak season! In our case, we were in the off-peak period and arrived on the waterfront just before 2 PM, after our mid-day tour of Obidos, and we had no idea at all of what, where or when tours to the islands could be had! By instinct and without a map of the town, I headed directly to what I assumed was the dock area to park our car. As soon as we emerged to begin our wanderings about town, we noticed a young lady standing beside a cubicle that said something about tours to the Berlenga's. She was very conversant in English (luckily for us!) and said that the next (and last) boat was leaving in just over 30 minutes. Right, that was it, we signed up on the spot and the adventure began! Since time was short, for lunch, we wolfed down the remnants of our previous day's bread, tomatoes and cheese while sitting in our car. Then it was a quick sprint to the wharf for our trip to these not so well known Portugese Islands (but definitely more affordable than the Azores or Madeiras!).
After arriving on the island and making the overland trek to the site of the old fort, we decended from the cliffs to have a closer look at it. As we approached it by crossing a small stone bridge, we were amazed at how clear the waters were. I could see a small school of very blue fish lazily swimming along just below us. I thought, 'gee, Kenmerk would like this place!'
- Pros:Very different from your usual vacation destination
- Cons:You had better like Sea Gulls!
- In a nutshell:An experience that you should not miss!
The rocky outcropping of the Berlenga's is safeguarded for mariners by the 72 foot high lighthouse that you see here.... more travel advice
Our time in Peniche was so short and we took up so much time touring the Berlenga Islands, that we really did not have... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Ilha da Berlenga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal's amazingly close island!"
- "Seagulls kingdom"
- "The Island of Sea Gulls"
- "Island of noisy seabirds"
- "An island to visit!!!"
- "Best way to travel to Berlenga Island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ilha da Berlenga
- Hotels in Ilha da Berlenga
- Transportation in Ilha da Berlenga
- Restaurants in Ilha da Berlenga
- Warnings and Dangers in Ilha da Berlenga
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ilha da Berlenga
- 19 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (155)
Have you been to Ilha da Berlenga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ilha da Berlenga
- updated a Ilha da Berlenga Travel Page "Portugal's amazingly close island!"
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: New Member Map, Travel Pages..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Yellow-Legged Gull Paradise"
- Commented on one of solopes's Ilha da Berlenga travel pages
- Wrote a Review Berlenga Lighthouse in Ilha da Berlenga Things to Do
Photos in Ilha da BerlengaSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos