"Evora - A UNESCO World Heritage Site" Top 5 Page for this destination Évora by Bwana_Brown

Évora Travel Guide: 394 reviews and 1,380 photos

We arrived in Evora on a hot mid-afternoon after a long drive from the southern Algarve area. It really was our first experience in dealing with city traffic since we had picked up our rental car in Lisbon 3-days earlier. Despite lacking a city map and some fairly busy traffic, we finally managed to locate our pre-booked accommodations. The Pensao Graca had a great tourist map of the city, so we were all set after that!

It did not take long to drive back into the main part of the city, where we found a free car-park just outside the walls of this ancient city, and not far from its University. We then struck off on foot to explore the delights of Evora. We immediately came upon the 1900-year old Roman ruins that you see here, located in the centre of the city. Surrounding this area we found many interesting sights, including the Cathedral and the old Roman walls that also date from 100-200 AD.

In the midst of all this, we also found a lovely cool and relaxing restaurant with outdoor seating under the shade of its huge trees!

It is not difficult to understand why this city is a UNESCO World Heritage site!

• Pros:An Abundance of Ancient Attractions
  • Cons:A Popular and Busy Spot
  • In a nutshell:Definitely Give it a Try!
  • Last visit to Évora: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Aug 28, 2004

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2008 at 12:49 PM

an interesting place and great pics, Glenn ! I almost went there this week, but finally I had to leave it for my next time ;-(

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2008 at 10:42 AM

Love the Orange surprise tip

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2007 at 5:38 AM

Your pic and comments about the oranges were just on the front page of VT. Don't you love those little gestures by a hotel host?

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM

What a pity we didn't include Evora in our itinerary. I share your admiration for bougainvillea, thanks for interesting info on its origin. And just like you, I love countryside.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Great page, Glenn! Next time I'm in Portugal, I intend to leave the golden beaches of the Algarve behind for a little while and venture inland. Evora looks like the place I should head for!

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2006 at 2:53 AM

I am thinking of lending my parents camper to head to portugal some time. Evora is certainly on my list, too. Thanks for your great tips! Corinne

• icunme's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2006 at 4:22 AM

Great pages/tips - good information AND entertaining. Will return often. Ciao, Carol

• Jan 2, 2006 at 9:09 PM

A lovely story! Thank you so much for sharing. Greetings!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 2:37 PM

1900-year old Roman ruins, the cathedral and aquaduct look fantastic. A lot of very interesting info. I have to hit my car to Evora someday :-)

• orlandom's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 3:43 PM

I loved your portugal page im from vila do conde 30 min from oport and was happy to see so many nice pic and imf on portugal .Keep up the good work

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Évora