"Mountains of the North" Geraz do Minho by Bwana_Brown
Geraz do Minho Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 14 photos
On a Sunday morning, the 7th day since we had left Lisbon in our rented car, we had to decide where we would make our one stab at going further north in Portugal before we had to turn south for good. Since we still had one more night booked in our hotel in Lamego, we debated the long drive to Braganca in the northeast or a shorter one northwest into the Geraz do Minho region. Taking a look at the twisting roads on the map, we decided to opt for the shorter route - so off we went at 9 AM. For a map of where we travelled in the Minho, please check my General tip.
The super-highway from Lamego to Peso da Regua was a breeze but from there to Vila Real was slow going on the most convoluted road we had yet experienced. Then it was high speed again to the west on E82 before we turned north toward Guimares on the N101. Once again, progress was noticeably slowed by the traffic as we passed through every town in this built up area of Portugal. I had somehow imagined a remote and sparsely populated northern area - but it isn't so along the western edges of the Minho! We finally stopped to look at our map for a course correction, deciding that we would forget the big cities and head back east into the more mountainous areas around Fafe. It was 3 hours since our departure before we breathed a sigh of relief as the green countryside opened up before us. And what countryside it was - very picturesque and the sun was shining!
In the end, we had a great day exploring up into the mountains of the Serra da Cabreira, almost reaching the famous Peneda Geres National Park before time forced us to turn back. Not wanting to repeat our torturous route up, we took a shortcut on a back road through a Nature Park in the Serra de Alvao, emerging very close to Vila Real at the end of the day.
This was our last full day in the north because, the next day, we made a brief tour of the Douro River (my 'Pinhao' page) before heading south and west to the Atlantic coast at 'Praia de Mira'.
- Pros:A Chance to Get Away From it All
- Cons:Congested on the West Coast
- In a nutshell:An Area with Lots to Offer!
Located in the far north of Portugal, the province of Minho holds great significance for Portugese as both the... more travel advice
On our way south from Cabeceiras de Basto, I was intrigued to see these tall Portugese-style haystacks outside of the... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Geraz do Minho Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Geraz do Minho
- Transportation in Geraz do Minho
- Restaurants in Geraz do Minho
- Warnings and Dangers in Geraz do Minho
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geraz do Minho
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (156)
Have you been to Geraz do Minho?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geraz do Minho
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Off the beaten path vs..."
- Commented on one of Bwana_Brown's Geraz do Minho travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Geraz do Minho is located HERE"
- updated a Geraz do Minho Travel Page "Mountains of the North"
- Wrote a Review Geraz do Minho is located HERE in Geraz do Minho Favorites
Photos in Geraz do MinhoSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos