"Marvão - A Hilltop Castle & Enclosed Garden!" Top 5 Page for this destination Marvão by Bwana_Brown

Marvão Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 233 photos

This was Day 7 of our Portugal trip, and the 4th day since we had set out from Lisbon in our rented car. Marvão was the second of the 'Border Castles' that we toured on our drive around Portugal. We actually managed to squeeze it in on the same day that we visited the more southerly castle at Monsaraz in the morning, on our drive north from the Algarve.

This majestic spot really is one that you should try to fit in. Located high in the 3300+ ft. (1000-m) Serra de Sao Mamede mountains, just north of Portalegre, this picturesque village offers amazing views of the countryside. We were fortunate to have a beautiful sunny day in late May, still too early for the streets to be crowded with tourists.

The fortifications here were built in the late 1200s and then were further reinforced in the 1600s to deal with successive threats to Portugal. In addition to the impressive walls and towers of the castle, the narrow streets and old houses in the village are also well worth a look! See my 'General Tip' for a map showing Marvao's location.

• Pros:Has Retained its Flavour On Its Isolated Hilltop!
  • In a nutshell:One of the Best Views in Portugal !
  • Last visit to Marvão: May 2004
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2010

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Glenn, nice page with brilliant photos of Marvao. On my two trips to Portugal I mainly concentrated on places at the coast so I never really explored any towns inland. - I could do with a Cintra beer right now.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Looks like a place that is well worth a detour - and detours are the best part of a touring holiday.

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Marvaolous mountain scenery!

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Just re-visiting your page, looking for inspiration to start mine. There were some very cold days in Portugal last week and it snowed in Marvão, not usual at all! Also, Marvão is a candidate to Unesco World Heritage, and it is deserved imho. :)

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2008 at 12:23 PM

A cold Beer, shade & a breeze , all you need

• Feb 25, 2008 at 4:49 PM

this so is my kind of place glenn! a beautiful fort, and lovely gardens, in gorgeous countryside. thanks for sharing, and hey, hope all is well with you! :)

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 4:14 AM

What a lovely Village Garden and wonderful views from the top of the castle.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2006 at 1:50 PM

Great sceneries and local customs tips. Polish storks fly to Africa through Sicily. These ones might fly to/from France or UK?

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2005 at 3:43 PM

I had forgotten about the storks in Portugal & their huge nests perched everywhere. Marvao, is a nice looking town, reminded me a little of Monsaraz but a little bigger maybe? (~_~)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2005 at 2:05 PM

I enjoyed my only (short) visit to Portugal but that was not love at first sight and I did not felt for another visit. Your Portugal pages bring me to reconsider and I have to pay another visit to a country more fascinating that I had thought at first.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Marvão