"Portugal's 'Most Portugese' Village ?" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsanto by Bwana_Brown
Monsanto Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 142 photos
Well it once was! In a 1938 contest, Monsanto was voted as the winner of the 'most Portugese' village in Portugal when considering its historical authenticity and how little it had deviated from that over the years. By now, we had been in Portugal for 8 days and it was the start of our 5th day of driving since we had left Lisbon. After a night in Castelo Branco, we left the city that morning in a heavy rain and lightning storm, the first one of our trip, after meandering around several streets and roundabouts trying to figure out which way we were actually headed! Monsanto was our intended destination, but we wanted to take the country roads to reach it, in the hope that the sky would clear by the time we arrived. With its granite-walled houses intertwined with the huge boulders on its mountain top location, this was a place that we HAD to visit!! It turned out to be a good choice, this little village does have something special to offer a visitor! Once we had made our rounds, we were off again, heading further north in the Distrito de Castelo Branco to Portugal's highest mountains - the Serra da Estrela (my 'Covilha' page).
- Pros:A totally unique village setting
- In a nutshell:Worth going out of your way!
After getting settled into the hotel and changing to appropriate dinner clothes, we walked the nearby streets of Castelo... more travel advice
During our morning drive, we passed some herds of cattle grazing in the fields alongside the highway near Alcafozes.... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Monsanto Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Portugal's 'Most Portugese' Village ?"
- "Monsanto - a beautiful village in Portugal"
- "Nature and architecture meet"
- "Monsanto - Portugal"
- "Monsanto Historical Village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monsanto
- Hotels in Monsanto
- Transportation in Monsanto
- Restaurants in Monsanto
- Warnings and Dangers in Monsanto
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monsanto
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 30 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Monsanto?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monsanto
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: How to contact new member "
- Commented on one of solopes's Monsanto travel pages
- updated a Monsanto Travel Page "Portugal's 'Most Portugese' Village ?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Monsanto is located HERE"
- Wrote a Review One of Our Most Enjoyable Meals in Monsanto Restaurants
Photos in MonsantoSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos