"Our First Mountain-top Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsaraz by Bwana_Brown

Monsaraz Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 262 photos

Having completed both our long drive from the Algarve as well as exploration of the city of Evora the previous day, we were up and away early on the 4th day of our road trip from Lisbon. We had read a great deal about how scenic the border-castle villages were, and also the fact that you have to park your car outside the village walls, forcing you to take to your feet if you want to see what delights await inside!

As an added bonus, we had the magnificent countryside of the Alentejo area to enjoy for the rest of the day, because we had to keep on moving north to be in Castelo Branco for that evening.

Monsaraz and the surrounding area certainly did not disappoint, except for the fact that we were not able to find the ancient dolmen and cromlechs located very close by. We tried a few of the smaller country roads in some of the hamlets next to the castle but were unable to find any signs that pointed us in the right direction.

Later in the afternoon, as we passed by Vila Vicosa and Estremoz, we were amazed at both the huge marble quarries and the plantations of harvested cork oak trees. Altogether, it was another great day in our trip!

For a map showing the location of Monsaraz, please check my 'General' tip.

• Pros:One of Portugal's most preserved villages
  • In a nutshell:Takes you back in time with a beautiful view to boot !
  • Last visit to Monsaraz: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2007

• calcaf38's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Thank you for noticing my new Mississippi page. Your Monsaraz page is great, I love those blue tiles. Portugal is so bright: it's hard to take good photos, but you always do.

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM

What a wonderful castle in great surroundings ! It is always great for me to find such Azulejos in Portugal !

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2008 at 1:20 PM

Gorgeous page about this Portuguese gem. Brilliant photos as well. I especially like the photo of the Azulejos which I know from other cities in Portugal. Well done.

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Excellent page on Monsaraz which I didn't see during my Portugese trip. I loved the pictures (especially the view from the Keep) and tips, including your 'post office adventure).

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 7:51 AM

great page!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 4:26 PM

Awesome pictures and very, very interesting info. We learn a lot from your pages :-)

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2005 at 1:31 PM

Now I wish we had gone on to Monsaraz as well. Looks like a great town.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2004 at 10:39 PM

Some of your pictures from Monsaraz make me think of Moroccan Essaouira. No wonder as it was ancient Portuguese Mogador !

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2004 at 3:24 AM

With those endless blue skies, it is not wonder you loved it. Car picnics are one of the best aspects of renting a vehicle. Great stuff.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 11:42 AM

ahah, I guess our boys should now be in Monsaraz preparing for the 2006 World Cup. Wonderful page of a village that I adore and re-visit once and again.

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Monsaraz

Have you been to Monsaraz?

Latest Activity in Monsaraz