"Our First Mountain-top Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Monsaraz by Bwana_Brown
Monsaraz Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 262 photos
Having completed both our long drive from the Algarve as well as exploration of the city of Evora the previous day, we were up and away early on the 4th day of our road trip from Lisbon. We had read a great deal about how scenic the border-castle villages were, and also the fact that you have to park your car outside the village walls, forcing you to take to your feet if you want to see what delights await inside!
As an added bonus, we had the magnificent countryside of the Alentejo area to enjoy for the rest of the day, because we had to keep on moving north to be in Castelo Branco for that evening.
Monsaraz and the surrounding area certainly did not disappoint, except for the fact that we were not able to find the ancient dolmen and cromlechs located very close by. We tried a few of the smaller country roads in some of the hamlets next to the castle but were unable to find any signs that pointed us in the right direction.
Later in the afternoon, as we passed by Vila Vicosa and Estremoz, we were amazed at both the huge marble quarries and the plantations of harvested cork oak trees. Altogether, it was another great day in our trip!
For a map showing the location of Monsaraz, please check my 'General' tip.
- Pros:One of Portugal's most preserved villages
- In a nutshell:Takes you back in time with a beautiful view to boot !
Along the drive between Redondo and Vila Vicosa, we were astounded to come across huge piles of marble blocks of all... more travel advice
If you get a little bored with the action in the parade ground, whether it be football or bullfighting, you can always... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Monsaraz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our First Mountain-top Village"
- "Monsaraz - Portugal"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monsaraz
- Hotels in Monsaraz
- Transportation in Monsaraz
- Restaurants in Monsaraz
- Shopping in Monsaraz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monsaraz
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Monsaraz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monsaraz
Photos in MonsarazSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos