"Obidos - A Tourist Delight" Top 5 Page for this destination Óbidos by Bwana_Brown
Óbidos Travel Guide: 353 reviews and 917 photos
Our visit to Obidos was not really long enough to do it justice. We had set out from northern Portugal in the morning, departing 'Praia de Mira' (south of Aveiro) some time around 9 AM. We headed inland as directly as we could so we could reach the A1 divided 4-lane highway near Coimbra. From there, we turned the jets on, stopping only to pay the tolls as we headed south for our next coastal destination at Peniche. Once we reached Leiria (where we had originally planned to spend a night), it was a tricky adjustment to transfer over to the A8, but we made it and continued onward. It just so happened that Obidos is located exactly where we had to exit the A8, so we took advantage to squeeze in a quick 2-hour walking tour of the town.
Although the number of tourists were greater than anything we had experienced for few days, it was still not bad. It was fun checking out the fortifications of the town and enjoying the historic atmosphere of its streets with their whitewashed buildings. The temperature was in the low 20s C (75 F) with a hazy sky, so it was quite pleasant to just wander around at random.
This view was taken from the fortified tower at the south end of the town. It shows the main part of town, encircled by the walls, with the even larger towers of the Castelo Pousada (a former Royal residence of Portugal's Queens) visible at the north end of town.
- Pros:Quaint historical buildings
- Cons:Busy due to its proximity to Lisbon
- In a nutshell:An enjoyable place to visit
We spent only about 2 hours in Obidos as we passed through the area between our beach stops at 'Praia de Mira' (just... more travel advice
This photo shows a hilly sidewalk scene in Obidos, illustrating some of the features common to the houses of this part... more travel advice
Bwana_Brown's Related Pages
Óbidos Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Óbidos a charming village"
- "Obidos - A Tourist Delight"
- "feel like you've stepped back in time"
- "Bridal gift town from the kings to their queens"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Óbidos
- Hotels in Óbidos
- Transportation in Óbidos
- Nightlife in Óbidos
- Restaurants in Óbidos
- Shopping in Óbidos
- Warnings and Dangers in Óbidos
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Óbidos
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Óbidos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Óbidos
Photos in ÓbidosSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Andalucía Intro, 60 reviews, 186 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of New Brunswick Intro, 70 reviews, 138 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gaspé Intro, 51 reviews, 157 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Belize Intro, 66 reviews, 140 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of Ontario Intro, 46 reviews, 144 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yellowstone National Park Intro, 42 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portugal Intro, 80 reviews, 81 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Glacier National Park Intro, 43 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Canada Intro, 45 reviews, 100 photos
- Buenos Aires Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos