"Obidos - A Tourist Delight" Top 5 Page for this destination Óbidos by Bwana_Brown

Óbidos Travel Guide: 353 reviews and 917 photos

Our visit to Obidos was not really long enough to do it justice. We had set out from northern Portugal in the morning, departing 'Praia de Mira' (south of Aveiro) some time around 9 AM. We headed inland as directly as we could so we could reach the A1 divided 4-lane highway near Coimbra. From there, we turned the jets on, stopping only to pay the tolls as we headed south for our next coastal destination at Peniche. Once we reached Leiria (where we had originally planned to spend a night), it was a tricky adjustment to transfer over to the A8, but we made it and continued onward. It just so happened that Obidos is located exactly where we had to exit the A8, so we took advantage to squeeze in a quick 2-hour walking tour of the town.

Although the number of tourists were greater than anything we had experienced for few days, it was still not bad. It was fun checking out the fortifications of the town and enjoying the historic atmosphere of its streets with their whitewashed buildings. The temperature was in the low 20s C (75 F) with a hazy sky, so it was quite pleasant to just wander around at random.

This view was taken from the fortified tower at the south end of the town. It shows the main part of town, encircled by the walls, with the even larger towers of the Castelo Pousada (a former Royal residence of Portugal's Queens) visible at the north end of town.

• Pros:Quaint historical buildings
  • Cons:Busy due to its proximity to Lisbon
  • In a nutshell:An enjoyable place to visit
  • Last visit to Óbidos: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 16, 2004

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM

Glenn, very interesting page with brilliant photos of Obidos. Although I was twice in Portugal I never really made it to Obidos.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Another gem I missed I guess while on our trip last summer. Good to hear you didn't miss the windmill shot and didn't have to elbow any French out of your way to do so! Very cool hotel but alas too rich for my blood too.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2009 at 7:42 AM

The beautiful Moorish architecture, bougainvilla and aquaduct make this a very inviting destination. If you like Bougainvilla- India has THE most beautiful I have ever seen. They even grow wild. Vivid colours too.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2007 at 9:19 PM

I was just thinking about those tiles that we didn't buy in Portugal and wishing we had now that we are finally renovating our kitchen! Lovely page Glenn!

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Obidos looks so picturesque in your photos. I can't wait to see it (and other places in Portugal) by myself.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2006 at 4:32 AM

Enjoyed this Obidos page Glenn, especially the impressive aquaduct, pousada and beautiful bougainvillea blossoms. I also love Portuguese tiles & their ornate chimneys.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2005 at 2:31 PM

Great job! Azulejos in Our Lady of Piety Oratory look outstanding! I miss those Portuguese windmills, whitewashed houses and ornate chimneys.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 2:02 PM

great page, I can't wait to get to Portugal!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 8:33 PM

The tree looks like a hundred years old plane tree. The are commonly planted in all the Mediterranean world. The shape of Obidos is amazing, all in length. I suppose the topography of the place commended that unusual shape.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2004 at 2:01 PM

I think you are right!! Sure looks like a tourists delight!! The views from the walls are simply amazing!! You're lucky to get those tiles home in one piece!! hahaha

Bwana_Brown

“Don`t sweat the small stuff”

Badges & Stats in Óbidos